Protecting yourself a in a mass shooting and identifiying threats for mall shootings.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by LightInTheDarkestNight, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Someone I live with had the radio on and I was listening.

For mass shootings the 3 rules to follow are.

1. Avoid. Get the hell out of there if you can and there's a clear path and not an active shooter between you and the exit. If that doesn't work go to step 2.

2. Deny If there isn't an safe way to exit the premises barricade yourself in a room, and attempt to go back to step 1 by if that option is available. For example if there is a window you can try getting out that way.

3. Defend
    If reverting back to step 1 and avoiding the situation by escaping doesn't work you must be prepared to defend yourself. Obviously it is much better to be armed if you are defending yourself against someone who is also armed, however if you are not armed you actually want to be close to the door so if the active shooter gets in to your room you can turn it into a wrestling match right away. Because if your at the back of the room and someone gets in then they can just shoot you and you have no chance whatsoever.

This morning I was watching some news about the mall shooting in Kenya they had a security expert on talking about what can be done to identify certain threats. Basically what he said in malls is all you can do is identify people who don't look like their supposed to be there, being dressed differently, just something out of the ordinary. Someone could say this guy was encouraging profiling however if something looks out of place and feels wrong going against your gut would be stupid.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  2. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Re: Protecting yourself a in a mass shooting and identifiying threats for mall shooti

I've been applying all of the above in my life not for mass shooting reasons but due to my life circumstances. It's mostly just common sense, that I already knew except maybe the hiding by the door instead of at the end of the room part, that's only if you don't have a gun though and it's still good to reiterate some points. One can never be fully safe if someone doesn't care if they die or go to jail, like a mass shooter, luckily most people care so that provides some protection.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.