Prove it.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Sly, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sly

Sly New Member

I've been alone and depressed for 6 years now.This is my last stop before suicide. People have been telling me forever that life will get better, well it hasn't. Can anyone prove to me that it will?

2. goodbye pork pie hat

goodbye pork pie hat Active Member

Many of us may believe it will, but how should we prove it? Would you be willing to accept anyone's example?

Seems like in most cases our attitudes affect our futures. I don't blame you for having a bad one after six years of depression. But look around at all the happy people who don't seriously consider suicide. Their happiness is available for us; we just need to change our attitudes. That's hard to do alone. A psychiatrist can really help.

3. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

the future has no guarantees my friend. we like you here.

4. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Depends on what your standards are for proof in this context. Will anecdotal evidence suffice? Proof via logical argument? Empirical data? What is it that you're looking for?

Being happy is a two-way street. The happier you are, the richer your life seems to be. The richer your life seems to be, the happier you are. Sometimes it's hard to be happy in the midst of misery and tragedy, but other times, it's truly hard to be down when things are swell and working out just as we always dreamed they would. Life isn't going to just start fulfilling you; you have to make an effort as well. I realize that's scary and that it sounds like a lot of work, but you know what else is a lot of work? Being unhappy 24/7. I'm sure you know how draining it is to be thinking about ending your life every waking second. I sure do. So really, it's your pick. You can work toward becoming happier or you can stay unhappy. Either way, you need to improve yourself and then be on the lookout for positive changes in your life.

5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i'm sorry, i can't prove anything- i've been hearing the same old crap again and again.

i will say this though, if you do decide to go, life will never get better- you might miss an oppotunity

is their anything you want to do?

any dreams or goals

6. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

Most people don't understand even basic human psychology, so they often say rubbish like "time heals all wounds" or "give it time". All of these cliché s are spoken to allow them to keep a distance from your suffering whist at the same time giving them the bullshit belief that their helping in some capacity. In my experience people just don't want to know others who are suffering. Mental illness has become the excuse most people give to themselves and others as to why people could be hurting, "oh they have depression", depression is a symptom not a root cause. It's all so very glib. It's a form of eugenics in a bio-psycho-social sense, all of it designed to make the incompetents around us feel better about themselves without really trying to understand. We are the result of our environments effect on our genes and social conditioning. Take operant-conditioning for example, we can all change given the right support and understanding, it's just too bad we have to deal with all of this alone. My apologies if I've offended anyone.

7. Sly

Sly New Member

I like the cut of your jib. you know what's really going on and put words to what i have so far been unable to

See Exkend's post

8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I agree with Exkend. And yet, I have met or heard of some good psychotherapists and even psychiatrists who look at things in a more wholistic way, as do I. They may be few and far between. But they do exist.

9. poison

poison Well-Known Member

WORD. Behaviorism to the max. Mental illnesses are farcical bullshit used as a pawn by big pharma to get you to buy their toxic meds.

Do you perchance visit this blog? http://behaviorismandmentalhealth.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.