provocation

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Guy Incognito XI, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Incognito XI

Guy Incognito XI Well-Known Member

I write a message and then it's like I try to check the reactions of people to me. It's like I want everyone to hate me. Why?

2. Robin

Robin Guest

least wrote this to Matt in the Ungrateful Bastards thread and I think it's apt here too, at least I don't know of a better way of saying it:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

People feed off the reactions from others. Emotional reactions, ability to insight a responce of some nature from someone else. It gives some people a sense of ability, power, a sense that they are superior to others, and in that, are atleast better.

Sometimes people do it just so people look at them with a truthful eye, even if it is a negative eye, instead of a blurred automatic responce or useable eye.

Eitherway, in anyway, it's not a good method as people get hurt.

4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Three reasons:

(1) The nature of the beast. I think at least in part it is because we can't see each other...not that that's a bad thing most of the time, but when we're typing messages back and forth we have no way of picking up nonverbal cues, so it almost seems like it is easier to slip into an insulting mode. Its something I know I need to watch out for myself.

(2) Attention. Seriously, sometimes it can be a bit tough to get others attention around here. So if you say something on the inflammatory side, at least you'll get attention of a sort. Not positive attention probably, but at least its attention. Which sometimes beats being ignored.

(3) Boredom. Logging into SF and seeing the same sort of posts over and over, perhaps there's a little devil whispering in your ear about maybe stirring things up a bit.

My $.02, and doubtless worth every penny.

5. Guy Incognito XI

Guy Incognito XI Well-Known Member

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think what least had to say is very true. We often times try to anger people and make them feel uneasy so we can justify pushing them away rather than chancing they may get even just a little bit close to us. It is much easier to go away when you think you are hated than it is when you know there are people who really do care. I cannot say this is true of you as I haven't gotten the priviledge of getting to know you. I hope you are able to find your reasons. Please take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.