Prozac.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by aao, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aao

aao Well-Known Member

Hello.

I'm sorry, I know this must have been asked millions of times, but, I was prescribed Prozac and was wondering if anyone could tell me what is it like, how their experiences with it were, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Me personally, I didn't have a good experience with prozac. It triggered off very intense nightmares that I still suffer with today and it made me intensely suicidal, and I had to stop taking it. But I also didn't react well with SSRI medications in general. But a lot of people have a lot of success with prozac and have been taking it for years.

3. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

Didn't do anything at all to me. Not good, not bad.
    It helps a lot of people, though. Just because it didn't work for one person doesn't mean it won't work for you. It's the 3rd most commonly prescribed antidepressant (in the USA) for a reason - and there are quite a few antidepressants.

4. bleedingrage

bleedingrage Active Member

Was on prozac for a few months and it set off suicidal thoughts. It blocked my ability to feel. I just "was". Its puzzling to me why fluoxetine is even legal. Nazis would give Jews Zoloft and prozac to keep them docile. A dear friend of mine was on it and sadly he had the same reaction. He took his life on February 3 2008. Don't think that medications prescribed by doctors won't push you over the edge. Its usually a "hit a miss" type deal with them. Wish you the best of luck. But I'm no doctor, what do I know?..

5. I've been on it for about a month and so far I think it's working. I got put onto 20mgs a day after walking into the gp and saying that I thought I was depressed and then talking to a nurse. I've stopped hitting the lows as much but if I stop and just sit then it's like the whole world stops and I feel nothing.

6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is a mild and typically very low side effect med that has been around for many many years. Because it has been around so long and proven safe long term it is often a "first try" med - and it has far lower issues with weight gain and other common sider effects than most meds. It has some small benefit for me, with no side effects whatsoever, but worked exceptionally well when cobined with another med (as Symbiax). I did eventually go off the combined and now take just prozac because it has no side effects at all for me (and most users). It is basically to the anti-depressant world what Amoxicillin is to the antibiotic realm- not the strongest- but works so often and with so few problems definitely a good one for a first try or if have been through the cycle once and ready to try again with better compliance.

Like any other med, try it and hope like hell you get lucky so you can avoid the try and see approach for a dozen other meds and stick to one with fewer side effects and 50 years of history so no nasty surprises 20 years from now that nobody has ever thought of yet.