Psalms 23

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by sorrowstealer, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorrowstealer

sorrowstealer Member

Psalms 23:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
  2. timmytiger

timmytiger New Member

hi this is my first post on suicide forum, i just wanted to tell you that when i think about my childhood and how the christian church took away my innocence and youth with their bible readings like you're posting, i feel like jumping off the edge, please tell me... why are you hurting me, why are you doing this to me
  3. srnityblu

srnityblu Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful passage that can give great comfort.

We fall victim to other people's choices such as thier violence against us. We continue to live in fear and beg for vengence, but somehow we think they have taken our voice too.
    We feel powerless, but this passage is just the opposite. God is the maker of all and He sees everything that is done to the afflicted. He knows man's hearts and He sees everything, absolutely everything even the things done in secret.

Many people think that God has left them, because of thier suffering, but how can He abandon anyone when they have not reached out to Him? Sure many I have heard have told me ' I have tried' but " He's not there," or " It hasn't worked."
    Answers do not come easily, and niether does help. The reaching out is the only easy part. Many of us, and I included, find it very easy to ask God for help, but when the tough get going, we take back our words, and hold onto our pain thinking that we can better handle it. Sometimes the pain is so great that God does want you to work through it, rather than ignore it, but that is when we say " No God, I can't" and instead of realizing our own faults and inabilities, it is far easier to put the blame on God, and convince ourselves He failed us, instead of realizing that we have failed ourselves.

I am sorry that the church has hurt you and abandoned you. The institution of church has grown far away from God and what He stands for.
    The bible is different from the church, and there you can find comfort in God's words and who He says He is, and not by man's words.
    Find someone you can trust to help you. Again that may be very hard in this day and age, if you ever need to just chat or ask questions about God, I am here to help. No worries.

This passage was not meant to hurt anyone, if I may speak so freely, I was meant for those suffering and who have no where else to turn, you can find peace with Jesus, the Good Sheapard. He is willing to help.

Many people are looking for a supernatural experience, and fail to realize the doors that open and close are tangible opportunities, or individuals. They may be total strangers who genuinely want to listen and care, and the opportunities may be a change of location with a new job, or a new move.
    God never promises us that we will not go through heartaches and trials, but when our eyes and hearts are focused on God, then no one, not even the one who has hurt you and beaten you down to the point where you don't want to live can touch you. God will pick you back up and hold your hand and show you your worth and capbablities. You are His creation and He loves you with an everlasting love. His mercy falls on all of us, and His grace is forever.

Hope this helps.
    Love your friend, Shannon
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  4. Letzman

Letzman Member

I'm a relatively hardcore atheist (and not a huge fan of any religion that uses threat of terrible punishments to try and manupulate) but, I have to say, even I find comfort in that passage. The closest thing to God for me is our humanity, human empathy & love. A perfect example are the good wishes and intentions of people helping other people on this very board. People taking their time to reach out and help others for no reason other than because, simply, they care.

Being an atheist- it's this belief in the good heart of most people (not all people, certainly) that keeps hope alive for me. I'm able to still get comfort from the passage because I just substitute the word "love" for "the Lord".

With all the hatred and extremists in the world, it can be difficult to see through it all- but the good guys have triumphed in even more challenging times throughout history.

And I agree with Shannon in that sometimes we try to blame God. I know I used to try and do that, until I couldn't ignore how hypocritical it was of me as a supposed atheist. The fact of the matter is we gotta work with what we got. As much as society tries, it can never make things perfect. I'm trying to learn to accept the challenges life brings about. It's tough, I'm so used to instant gratification in the U.S.- but I figure as we only go around once (being an atheist and all) I had to stop blaming God and realize that I simply have to work harder within the existing world. Damnit though... I really don't enjoy having to work hard :).

Still... when my time does come I hope to say I gave it my best shot. It's strange when I think this way I see almost no reason why I shouldn't be able to accomplish whatever I might set myself to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  5. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I am not religious at all, yet I do find comfort in this post. If for nothing else but the beauty of the prose; the words are comforting in reminding us that while we do not know what comes after this life, there is peace to be had.
  6. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Sounds like quite a naive and unwise thing to do, to me.

Um, I doubt that happens very often, even metaphorically; the best of people do not at all need to end up with luck, even in ANY situation. What cup are you talking about, by the way? I hate spilling tea, myself; I usually only take what I feel I can hold in the cup, without spilling.

Why is that so certain? How can you possibly know? What if someone else is exposed to something horrible? Is that person devoid of god?
  7. Letzman

Letzman Member

I'm not sure if you're simply not getting it, or just trying to be a smart-ass.

The Psalm expresses how if we maintain love in our hearts, it will displace and overcome any fears that can otherwise consume our thoughts.

Fear is a natural thing. But if we let it consume us it can be paralyzing and a huge obstacle to happiness. Love (or in this case, God) helps us feel free, grounded, safe.

The fears of needs, wants or death are still there- no one is saying otherwise. But with Love/God/Good (whatever you want to call it) in our hearts we don't allow such fears to deprive us of enjoying our lives.

The opposite of this would be to let yourself worry about everything- every possible thing that could go wrong, all the time, think about it every second of the day. No point in that, right?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  8. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

If it only describes a way to avoid fear, it certainly is quite unclear. I guess that is typical for religious texts; make it sound like gibberish so it can be perceived in any way one wishes to; a great foundation for a religion with a large following.

I was being a smart-ass about the tea cup, though.
  9. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

We get it Hae-Gi, you dont believe in God. I really dont give a crap that you dont believe in Him, but that doesnt mean you have to go all bitchy about it. Live and let others to live. You may not find any hope and answers in this psalms, but I do and Ill defend what I believe in. Sure your thoughs matters but please, in future, put your thoughts in less offensive way and dont insult Christianity!

SEMPER FIDELIS! Light In The Dark

BTW I dont care if I get banned or something... I really dont care...
  10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Quoting from the Soap Box guidelines:

11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Sorrowstealer, I'm just curiouss to why you chose to post this particular psalms? I did see it originally posted in another forum. It is a beautiful phrase and I'm glad to see it has made Christians and non Christians alike value it's meaning.
  12. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

My moto is; if it works it works! Why not have faith? You have nothing to loose!! :smile:
  13. titanic

Please say what has happened in your life to destroy your faith? :sad:

You are obviously hurting badly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  14. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Oh, I do believe in god. Just not the one you believe in. And I'll insult Christianity as much as I want. I'll try to avoid directly insulting particular Christians on the forum, but only because of the forum rules.
  15. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Oh, yes, this, too... I know it was not directed towards me, but it just reminded me of how disappointed I, as a child, became of Christianity when I learnt about how this "kind god" really sends souls to hell for eternity, even for petty reasons. It immediately made me disregard Christianity, of course, and the more time that passed, the more badness I would find out about it. It brings me sorrow that the song I used to sing with my mother, when little, really is an evil Christian song. Thankfully, my mother does not see herself as a Christian, anymore, either, after learning more about it. Still, however; the one song we always sang before I would sleep, during my whole childhood, was a goddamned Christian song.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  16. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Sorrowstealer-why don't you respond to the posts from yours? If you're some type of missionary, at least own up to it. The psalm will always be in my own heart, but if you're at Crackerbarrell after church thinking you've done 'a good deed', but ignoring the responses on this forum-what sort of 'Christian' are you? Or is this place just part of your rounds? HUH-whad-up sweetie?
  17. titanic

May I ask what kind of God do you believe in?

You cannot judge God by other people's standards. God does not 'send' people to hell that is their choice, if it were not for God's provision for us we would all go to hell.

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

There are people here who simply dont believe in God and religion. and thats not because they ve been hurt by religion or whatever.
    and thats not a big deal. I m glad that people can find comfort in religions if they are not pushing it too far , but I also totally understand those who chose not to believe in it and that doesnt mean something bad has happened about that.
    for ex, I was never baptized, though my parents are catholics. They wanted to give me the choice to choose MY religion and I think thats a very open minded way of thinking.
  19. titanic

Yeh, true but my question was for timmytiger who said the church destroyed her faith. There's no evangelism here, other than responding to the thread at hand (the 23rd psalm).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  20. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Sunday- well sorrow stealer hasn't stolen any of mine, not that I expected it.
    It's a nice psalm anyway. I just think missionary's should at least sweat some. Like Kate Hepburn in African Queen. Not only was she spreading the word; I don't know WHICH word-one of them, BUT she helped sink a Nazi ship and then proceeded to marry Humphrey Bogart (in the movie).
    How many bible thumpers these days would even come close to that?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.