• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

PSD service dog? Unsure on how this whole process works.

Hi there,

Unsure how to start this thread but for those who has an PSA what are the steps and what qualifications do you need. First and foremost I never had a therapist or been diagnosed just because I’ve been ashamed and embarrassed to ask for help. I’ve silently spoken about my issues online but for all my life its been crippling to live with and never admitted to my family of how i truly cope. Ever since my last dog passed away I’ve feel as if I had no purpose to live as I’ve also grappled with suicidal thoughts, extreme depression and bits of anxiety. With my current dog whose now 2 years and behaves extremely well in public, listens to me for every single command and I can easily pass her off as service dog but I feel like I’m a huge fraud so I don’t😞.
I use to bring her with to class every single day when I was at UNI since she was weeks old and she gave me the ability to be calm and less anxious around and be comfortable with others.
a little about my past and why I get anxious and depressed in public was because of the abuse my dad caused me which in my case was extreme PTSD and being bullied for years in my middle/elementary school where I was isolated to the point where I didn’t feel like living.
I still get vivid images of my dad yelling at my mom and the echoes of my mother crying and him leaving over and over. Because of theses haunting memories I feel like it’s hard to concentrate and my chest feels overwhelmingly heavy.
I feel as if my disorder isn’t enough to get qualified or have my dog certified because I can function fine but silently suffer in the inside.

Sorry that you've gone through so much abuse @maggie365
First and foremost I never had a therapist or been diagnosed just because I’ve been ashamed and embarrassed to ask for help
It would probably be a good idea to see a therapist or try other forms of treatment, but it certainly sounds like having an emotional support animal could be part of your therapy.
I feel as if my disorder isn’t enough to get qualified or have my dog certified because I can function fine but silently suffer in the inside
I think you probably could get your dog certified as an ESA. This article has some info about ESA's

https://www.suicideforum.com/2017/03/03/emotional-support-animals-more-than-just-pets/

I hope something can help.

The only problem is that ESA aren’t allowed into public places and only trained animals assisting a disability would include following different tasks such as helping the handler focus

Someone who's able to certify an ESA might know more about that. There may be some public places where ESA's are allowed. It also might be the sort of thing where ESA regulations aren't strictly enforced unless there's a problem.

Someone who's able to certify an ESA might know more about that. There may be some public places where ESA's are allowed. It also might be the sort of thing where ESA regulations aren't strictly enforced unless there's a problem.
Well from what I gathered they aren’t allowed in cabin for flying and I pretty much bring my dog everywhere and it lowers my anxiety and stops depressive thoughts as it still comes in waves and I have her trained to focus on me amongst other bits

I think animals may be allowed on planes, but only in animal-carriers. I think they may also put them in the cargo area, I'm not sure.

You could contact an airline about its animal policies. You might also look for other methods of transportation if they are available.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Admin
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Hi Maggie,
You may find this helpful https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

This part is VERY important

Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?
A
. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.
There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.

You can most definitely train your dog yourself per the ADA. So you aren't a fraud at ALL.

There are also different rules for airlines:
Q37. Do commercial airlines have to comply with the ADA?
A
. No. The Air Carrier Access Act is the Federal law that protects the rights of people with disabilities in air travel. For information or to file a complaint, contact the U.S. Department of Transportation, Aviation Consumer Protection Division, at 202-366-2220.

I had to have paperwork filled out by my doctor so I would be able to take my cat on an airplane. You have to check with each airline to find out their policy and what is required. It's usually not super crazy.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00