psych hospital

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by lilella44, Jun 24, 2008.

1. lilella44

lilella44 Well-Known Member

i've just been in a psych hospital for three weeks. it didnt help at all. i spent a lot of time in my room and saw a psychiatrist every day. i was on antidepressants, still am. but i feel the same as when i went in.

whats your experience of being in a psych hospital? did it work for you?

2. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

3. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I spent two weeks in two different hospitals ( a week in each one ). I wasnt helped a bit. It just made me hate my mom for putting me in there. It made me hate doctors and therapists worse then I already did. I lied to them to get out..

4. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

it helped i was in there for six weeks. probably should of stayed longer but i wanted my life back.

5. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I just made an appointment with a therapist today and one should be calling me back soon but is it even worth it? Ive been on medication before but it seems like nothing works. I'm looking at this forum and I'm sorry but it seems like no matter how much medication you take or how many people you talk to, nothing seems to get any better....sure for a little while ...but it makes me scared that these thoughts willNEVER FRIGGING GO AWAY!

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

supermodel- therapy, finding the right counsellor helped me a lot. it does take a lot of effort to find someone that you click with and are willing to work with. there is a possibility of the thoughts easing off a bit with the right people around you to support you.

my experiences in the psychiatric ward is just generally "never again." never do i want to get myself in any kind of state to be admitted. it didn't help me one bit ,made me worse..

7. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Spent nearly one year in the hospital from five separate attempts. I've attempted 9 times total (all different methods I could think of - luckily survival instinct cut in at the last moment each time).

Hospital psych wards are just for detaining someone for a period of time when they are in imminent danger of harming themselves or others - they could care less about therapy, most of the time they don't even have you meet with a psychologist (just a psychiatrist to adjust meds).

Went to the hospital once for not taking meds, believe it or not - they have all sorts of methods of detaining a person.

8. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

I was in for 110 days and I found that it helped me. It kept me safe while I was actively suicidal and by the time i was discharged I felt well enough to keep myself safe without the addtional support. I was in one of the top inpatient programs in Canada, so I was lucky that way, the therapy provided was rather helpful.

9. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

scares the hell outta me too

10. rob389

rob389 Member

I got admitted into a psych hospital on the 14th of June 2007, it's been over a year and i'm expecting a discharge soon. I've had many good and bad experiences in there and made two good friends.
    Some of the nursing staff are alright, others aren't as expected. :mellow:

11. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

i been admitted twice, and they have tried sectioning me one other time. if i didnt work the first time y put me in again >-( so not impressed. the first time it did but didnt help me, i was able to escape from the extra pressures of home and college and actually focus on what is causing me to have the suicidal feelings etc... but it didnt help as i didnt like thinking as i dont think as im stupid, and that if i say something wrong people would ridicule me for it [school bullies].
    they took me off my original meds, the second time and put me on i think its prozac or something like that. which dont help me one bit. i have to see a pysch. once a week and then like the guy that admitted me 2 hospital once every 2 weeks. at first i was scared but im starting to build trust up with my CPN, even though it dont mean i talk alot... :|

12. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I hadn't even seen a therapist and was kept there for over a week. It just ruined my mind worse.

13. ckalex8508

ckalex8508 Member

for the past 3 yrs almost i've had 6 hosptilizations and none helped. i'm still suicidal, and i have alot of different diagnosis, and am on a lot of meds. i think if i found the right facility then maybe it would help. it would help if i had a true diagnosis:huh:

14. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Man ive heard so many bad stories from hospitalisation...they should really pick up there act and try to HELP people not compartmentalise them