Psych ward is no place for a young man to be

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by aoeu, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

At this point I'm expecting most of my summer is going to be spent in a psych ward. I can't deal with reality any longer. I want to escape, to not have to worry about all the stupid shit... Unfortunately, despite how it looks from the outside, I know it's not a break from reality, unless I can get a sufficient dose of sedative to keep me unconscious. I've never been an inpatient on a psych ward. The psychiatrists I've spoken to have made it fairly clear that I would be surrounded by old nuts.

I'm a 21 year old, ambitious young man. I shouldn't be cooped up in a hospital with old nuts... I should be beginning to live on my own and meeting girls and working interesting jobs.

I'm considering getting Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation performed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation It's thought by some to be as effective as electroconvulsive shock therapy for depression, but without memory-related side-effects.

I'm running out of options.

2. loula

loula Member

Your right psych ward is no place for young people like us. Im 24 and feel very similar to you. However nobody is listening to me. I smoke weed and to all i have spoken to if i stop that all my problems will magically disappear apparently. But i am deeply deeply unhappy and have very real things making me feel this way. i hardly leave my bed unless i have to. Do you know anything about sectioning yourself i.e can you do thaat or does a doctor have to do it?. I also took a look at the link you posted. Looks very scary. Think long and hard before you do that. Where abouts in the world are you?

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You want to go in voluntarily if at all possible. Then you can leave voluntarily, and you have a lot more control over the whole experience. I'm not entirely sure how to get in, though. I'm planning on asking my doctor how I would do this; I'd imagine it would either be a referral from him or emergency room [doesn't seem like an emergency; oh well] or drop-in appointments at the psychiatric ward. I'm in Canada. I have not been responding especially well to either drugs or therapy... I need it to stop.

And, incidentally, marijuana use is associated with depression and anxiety. You would do well to stop, but I don't think it'll do the whole job.

4. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

Being under the care of anyone is very scary to me, it means giving up a lot of control. I'm also eating disordered with major control issues, go figure! Hollywood does little to make these places seem less scary. I do have an actual friend who was inpatient for a suicide attempt in a psych ward and her experience was a good one. They basically left her alone and just monitored her when it came to things like being friendly to other people, taking care of herself by bathing, combing her hair, etc...this way they can tell how badly depressed she is. The provided counseling and set her up with weekly psychologist and psychiatrist appointments. She told me that it was a break from the world where she was safe and did not have to worry about anything, not even getting food and cooking for meals. She needed that time period of calmness and help, she doesn't regret going at all, she thinks it was a smart thing to do.

I'm really hoping you do what is RIGHT for you without being afraid because you do deserve a break from this misery if that is at all possible.

About transcranial magnetic stimulation--I don't know too much about it and since it is new, long term side effects are not known. Do you believe this is your only hope? How long have you been suffering like this? Maybe this treatment is right for you but please get second, third, fourth, and fifth opinions before making a decision. Our brains and nervous systems are pretty delicate, plus we all get depressed for different reasons so there is not universal treatment that works on everyone--when deciding to do something relatively unknown like this, it is important to do a lot of research. I can definitely help you look information up on the web if need.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My mom was also an inpatient [probably for something similar; I didn't really ask]. I think it did wonders for her.

I've been depressed for about 3 years now... I'm not altogether sure when it started, just a gradient. Arguably I might have been depressed since about 6 years old, but I can't fit feelings together.

What worries me most... Anti-depressants have had no major effect. Therapy scares me, and when I do it, it tends not to help. And several [most?] of my family members have been experiencing depression from adolescence onwards, they're now in their 50s. My aunt was forced into ECT... she hated it. But I think it helped her.

I was reading about people receiving ECT, and it sounds a wonderful treatment when everything else just doesn't work. But I couldn't stand to mess with my memory/intellect - these define me. The major known side effect of transcranial magnetic stimulation is seizures at frequency >5/second; it's currently done at <1/second, which has produced no seizures in the past.

But I would guess they don't give that treatment out just so easily.

6. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

Back when I was in grad school I wound up on a psych ward for a while. It is scary; it seems like I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to get off the ward. But it did help. It kept me alive through a time when I was sure that I would die - I wanted to die. Fortunately, not enough to not go in when I needed to be there. Oh, I never want to go back, even if it means that I have to stay sane. The part that is hard to deal with is the loss of control - you have to accept it and it is hard. But the people I met there, both staff and patients helped. You'd be surprised how nice crazy people are.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The psych ward has people of all ages there. It is scary in that it feels as if you have little control over things, but it is also a place you can feel fairly safe. Remember that you only get out of something what you put into it.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't want to have control. I don't want to grow up yet.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It is a different kind of control you lose though. Little things like opening a window, going for a walk (if you want to be outside), constantly being watched, going to the refrigerator for a drink or snack, choice of clothing or shoes, being able to go in your room and close the door without anyone invading your privacy. Things like this are hard to give up. Could be worse though. If it would benefit you to be in a facility of this type, then don't hesitate.

10. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I have been to three hospitals for short stays. All three were very different. The first one was decent. Good people good care all age groups. Second one I was in with people who were I think mostly psychotic. A place I would not recommend to anyone. The third one was okay but had definite drawbacks. Any hospital you would go to is very different going from good to scary. When I found out you can not control where you go, I have begun to think twice about going back. Rather the hospital can be good or bad depending on where you go.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh my god. Today is the day I find out whether I get into prosthetics school or not [my goal for almost a year, now]. I might get in, I might not... I can't handle this. I'm going to explode. I'm reasonably certainly I won't get in, but I seem to be dumb enough to hope I will.

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have been in the hospital ten times..Your nervous when you first go in, but once you get settled into your room then you start to ralax.. The staff has always been very helpfull..I agree going voluntarily is best.. Here in Florida if you are Baker Acted you have to go thru a judge. Then when you are going to get out you have to go thru the judge again..Being on the ward is fairly safe.. Every now and then some one will freak out but the staff are right on it..If you need it don't be afraid..They will make sure you are safe from others and yourself..

13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Rejected. Ouch.

i don't know what to do now. that was pretty much the last thing i was looking forward to. i have no job, no friends, no future. It's done.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.