Psych ward versus regular therapy...??

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nobody man, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

I want help so bad and whether I'll seek it is another subject entirely, but I keep thinking which course of action should I take? Should I be checked into a psych ward or just start out with regular therapy?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I just keep thinking a psych ward would be best because I would get immediate attention from professionals and then I would get it multiple times a week afterward. My hang up is that it seems kinda scary and people finding out about it. With regular therapy I think I'd be out of my mind for 6 days 23 hours just waiting for my next session, trying to appear normal and keep the status quo. I just don't know.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, even if it's an opinion and you have no experience with with either option.
  2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

If you are in crisis I would go to the hospital.. If you just need to bare all then I would see a therapist.. The hospital will only keep you so long..Then you are on your own again..My opinion is to see a pdoc and get on meds to help fight the thoughts..Then I would seek out a therapist.. This way you have two different means of support..
  3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I agree in whole with this.
    Also, you cant just walk into a psych ward sadly, I was in my docs today, saying suicidal hopeless feelings, meds stacked up, and i was handed a prescritption for another 120 tablets on top of what i already have. no word of hospital or anything, and i have been admitted once before.
    they are very strange about sending you to a ward. and again, as was said, your on your own once yoru out.
    I would suggest like was suggested before, get to yoru gp. get on teh psychiatrist lists for meds. GP will prob give you some in the mean time anyway. and geta therapist too.
    Get a network first, before reverting to a psych ward. try leave that for last action to take
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've done both. the psych ward helped when i was in total crisis, feeling suicide was imminent. they kept me safe, switched my meds, and stabilized me. didn't help with the reasons that landed me there in teh first place. for that i need my therapist. she gets at the roots of things. i say keep the psych ward in reserve for true emergencies, in the meantime get a good therapist. i see mine twice a week.

oh yeah, wanted to add. at my hospital there is a day program. sort of group therapy on a daily basis. you get to see the psych every other day and in between nurses run groups on coping skills, medication, etc. it's pretty intensive. it's for people in crisis not warranting overnights at the hospital. there might be something like that available to you. it's called "day hospital"
  5. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I totally see what you saying but honestly it's not a whole lot different. Yes, if you're lucky you'll be able to talk to someone everyday and if you're in distress there are mental health nurses trained to help you so you can talk to them(they do take notes and tell your assigned doctor though) but most of the time you're just sitting around doing nothing.

Their goal isn't really to make people 'better' but to stabilize them. Most stays aren't longer than a week however there are times when it is longer or shorter obviously.

I would personally try and get a counselor or therapist and start with that. If you get a good one they can probably refer you to day programs or group programs if they feel you need it.

Over here they call that Out patient care. In patient care is when you stay over night, out patient is when you just go during the day but go home at night.

Also one good thing i have to say about the hospital is that if you previously did not have anyone(ie. no psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, counselor etc) then they get that in order and refer you in the right direction. If you don't have any of those things then it can be hard to ask.. even asking your family doctor can be difficult. It's a little easier if you have atleast one of those things but again can still be embarrassing.

I also completely agree with what dazzle said in terms of a psych ward being for emergencies only.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.