psych ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crue-K

It depends on how secure they are. As a general rule, they are very boring and if you can avoid and have care in the community then do it. Some wards are more lax than others and it also depends on your condition on how the staff treat you. If you do go into a ward, whether it be voluntary or unvoluntary, I welcome you to the fragile elite of the lunatic fringe.

D

Dave_N

My belief is that most people in mental hospitals are there because they have to be there (involuntary). I'm assuming that you're planning on going there voluntary forlorn? If you feel that you really need to go then you should go. Are you still banned from SF chat?

dave, that's not always true. sometimes "you have to be" can be self-defined, as in "i have to be safe since i will attempt again...." and the hospital can be a place to stabilize a bit and let your meds kick in.

that said, the model here in ireland (similar to UK) is based on a community model, with psych services distributed to the community. i go to a day center where there are psychs, but also all sorts of out patient programs including group therapy, stress relief, art therapy, etc etc etc. the community nurses work from there but come out to your house to visit.

they far prefer outpatient here, and if you are feeling well enough this might be an option. there's not a day goes by i'm not either attending a program at the outpatient clinic, or on the phone with my nurse, or attending a relaxation class. it's not perfect (psych services ugh, don't get me going) but it's very thorough and i feel well-supported.

good luck with whatever choice you make, and please know you do have a choice.

c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00