Psych wards?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Nogo, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nogo

Nogo Member

I don't know anything about them and I figured I'd see if anyone here could enlighten me.

I've been contemplating/attempting suicide without anyone knowing for the last couple years, I'm depressed and I've got 90% of the symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder. (

I've got no one I feel comfort talking to and no way to get myself to a therapist frequently. What's the deal with psych wards? Do they cost money? If I commit myself how hard is it to leave? Any useful information would be appreciated. I think this is the best option for me before I turn to completely giving up.
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Please give it a try. You can be given a variety of medications under safe, closely observed conditions until the best medication(s) are found to give you relief and a satisfying quality of life.

Private and government insurances pay for your hospital stay up to entirely with Medicare/Medicaid in the case of a patient on disability. Your ability to leave as you wish is virtually guaranteed if you are voluntarily admitted and don't indicate any signs of being a danger to yourself or others.

As far as the conditions on the ward they can vary dramatically but even the very "worst" psychiatric wards are tolerable for the duration needed to get well enough to no longer be in danger to transition to getting regular help and resources when back home.

The daily routine on the ward is morning wake up, blood pressure/temperature checks, a meal, a tedious group, begging at the nurse's station for a piece of floss/ the use of a razor to shave/use of controlled items like foot spray, another meal, vegging on your bed or walking around-stopping to look out a window missing your freedom, another meal, visiting hour, another tedious group, phone privileges, TV/snack time then bedtime. Its not bad at all and you find yourself talking often and goofing around with people you share interests and feel comfortable with.

I have severe social anxiety too so the constant involuntary social contact was a strain at times on me as it may be for you but it was tolerable. Once again, please give it a try. Your life is worth living, worth looking forward to. :smile: Ideas that are contrary are the symptoms of insight warping depression.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

This actually sounds great lol. I will consider this for the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.