Psychiatrist - says get rid of suicide tools!!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by downunder, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Saw the pscyhiatrist today, she talks to me about suicidal thoughts and I find it very hard. She only knows about a couple of attempts. She asks me if I have anything around the house that I can use. I told her that I do. I don't want to lie to her. She wants me to get rid of them, but I can't do it. They are like my security blanket.

Anybody else have this problem?

I also told her that I fast occasionally of 1-2 duration, I actually do go for up to 15 days. She asked if I had eaten this morning I told her no. She just says just start eating. She thinks it affects your moods. But I can't do that one either.

Anybody have a shrink ask you to do things that you just can't do?

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello,
    My shrink has only seen me twice because my old shrink retired. This new guy insists that I am hearing voices. Both times I have seen him it is the same thing. I told him I don't hear voices but I do see things moving. It looks like snakes all squiggly. He has already changed my meds. After looking them up on the internet I see they are for Skyzaphrania. I can't ask for a new doc because he is the only one.
    I receive my help thru an organization called ACT. I don't want to screw that up so I am just going with the flow. The one med called Haldon messes me up in the morning, so when I drive my grandaughter to school my head is spinning, so I take it slow and easy. Luckily her school isn't to far from home. So yes my shrink messes me up!!!

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My psychiatrist wants me to get rid of my homemade device which would give me a painless certain death but I can't do that sort of thing anymore. It's my security blanket too. I've grown too old, too battered to ever again be unrealistically fanciful enough to think I should deny myself the option, not so much the temptation, of having self deliverance within reach.

This is a terrible state to be reduced to and I'm sorry to sound pro- suicide. I'm just no longer a youngster, I've tried "it all" and I'm so tired. I am going to keep trying for a few more months, maybe a year or two but without some modest improvement in my quality of life I just don't have the strength to keep living.

4. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Well done for being honest though, thats a very scary thing to do. Sometimes it can take many sessions with someone to get you to the point where you feel able to do this.

Stranger1 I suggest that you talk with your psych about the fact you have to drive at certain times, because that sounds pretty dangerous to me. Maybe they can put you on a med that won't effect you like this.

Makes me wonder what their ideas are for people who live near cliffs, do they say that they have to move house amidst the housing crisis & near ressession? Just a thought :huh:

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

downunder, yes, my therapist asked me to get rid of my stash of pills. it was a very hard thing to do. we had to talk it through a few times before i could go ahead and do it.

in the end i just sat quietly and asked myself why i didn't want to get rid of them. a voice answered that they had been my only friend for so many years. once i knew that was why i was resisting it became easier. suicide, like drugs, was a false friend to me, not a true friend. when i first turned to suicide i didn't have any other coping strategies - i was 12, was being abused, and was alone. now i have many more people to rely on. knowing that i could count on myself to get the help i needed enabled me to hand over my stash (took 'em into the pharmacy and said "i was cleaning out the medicine cabinet and i don't need these anymore). i wrote a letter to myself promising to take care of me without suicide as a safety blanket. i mourned my stash for days, cried non stop, but ultimately am glad i did it.

my best advice is to sit and ask yourself why you don't want to get rid of these things that you could use to hurt yourself. be honest with yourself, and really push yourself. if you can't do it, ask why not. if you are scared or frightened of a life without them, ask what it is that is scaring you.

when you are ready, you will be able to do this, but not without alot of hard work. i hope this helps.

6. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

All my therapists have told me to get rid of my pharmaceutical security blanket. It makes my life more comfortable knowing I have that plan in place. I know that I should get rid of the meds even though I rarely think of them anymore. The doctors are giving good advice.

7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Its a good advice, but speaking for myself, if I have a security blanket as you said, I will not be able to get rid of it. I hope you will.

8. shazzer

shazzer Well-Known Member

I've been told many times to get rid of any tablets that I usually use when I od and other things I use to harm myself but I just can't. I think I need to know they are always there if I feel I can't carry on and make an attempt. I did throw some out once but then I totally panicked and had to rush out and restock as I couldn't be without them

9. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Once I had to get rid of some things I had which I did then a week later just went out and bought some more, so pretty pointless. I was squirming a bit in my seat last time I saw her. Because sometimes I will hint at things because I don't feel comfortable in telling her and then I let her ask the questions but then sometimes I can't answer the questions, if you know what I mean.

She said that I let the line out for her to ask questions and then suddenly I drag the lines back in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.