Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by katblack77, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katblack77

katblack77 Active Member

Going to my second trip to my psych. The first trip was a waste of time. She was veyr cold and as was the atsmoshere. I found here judgemental. And when I added in at the end that I want to kill myself she laughed and she 'and you keep that thill the end until you told me'. That was in Jan and he verdit was that my depression and anxitey are part of my personality. oh she also said that bec i wasn't on any med's as the time that there was doing i could do for me except recomment a psycholgy

March 08 I overdosed and the dr is referring me right back to the same shrink :mad: Can't i asked for a differenet one. I found her every elitist. Oh and can they prescribe meds? Many thanks and sorry for the rabble.
  2. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

hey i can kinda relate to wot u fink of ur shrink. i go to drug and alcohol, and the first appoint. was dreadful i jus felt i was being judged and being laughed at. the second time, which was 3 weeks later, was ok. they seemed better, i hope the shrink is better for you. try keep ur head up high. and if u feel uncomfortable ask ur GP if u can change. explain it. x

hope u get the help u need by a carin person.

PM me anytime

Xx Sky xX
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

def. ask for a different psychiatrist. they are there to help you. if you don't like or trust them (and i wouldn't for all of the reasons you described) then they won't be of any help at all. are they part of a clinic where multiple doctor's work? ask to see someone else.

yes, the psych can prescribe medicine; but your GP can also do that. i have a medical card (free prescriptions), so the psych. basically writes a note to my GP and he writes the prescriptions. as with most drugs for mental illness you want to have someone monitoring your wellbeing pretty closely, esp. since at first you can feel more suicidal.

are there other supports available to you, like a mental health crisis team, or a mental health nurse? what happened in terms of support after your OD? the nursing team often provide better day to day care, at least that was my experience.
  4. leftoutsidealone

leftoutsidealone Well-Known Member

I tried a crisis consultant - no help whatsoever. Then went to a shrink - didn't help either, so I asked for antidepressants, and she wrote the prescription without any real investigation. So I'm keeping myself far away from them now - after all, they're just people, and not all very bright ones, so how can they possibly understand me. All they can do is pretend to care because they get paid for it. If you create to yourself an illusion that they care, then maybe it helps. If you're a realist, well - my experience shows, it doesn't help seeing anyone. The advice I got was totally inapplicable.
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

sorry you had a bad experience but i had the opposite one. the people who work for the mental health services here saved my life. i truly believe my doctor and therapist care, and they have shown me by their actions and their words. of course there are bad doctors, just like there are bad bus drivers. but it's a big jump to say they care only because they get paid.

they can only understand to the degree that you are able to open up to them and be honest. this doesn't mean you don't advocate for your needs, when necessary, and it doesn't mean you abandon your rights at the door.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with Dazzle. They are there to help you and if you feel this shrink is blowing smoke then you have every right to ask for another one. I got a new shrink my last visit because the one I have been seeing retired. This new guy doesn't speak english to good. When I told him about my suicidal ideations he just about came out of his seat. I told him that I think about it every day, and that right now I'm not acting on it. That seemed to quiet him down a little.He wants me to go back to the hospital and he wants to change my meds to something that didn't work the last time I took it. It took my shrink who retired three years of trial and error to come up with the combination I am on now. He also wants my sister to come with me my next visit because she is my care giver. I have been worrying about that for a while and finally decided that if I don't like what I am hearing I can stop it right there. I wish you the best!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.