Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death

• Thread starter Aquariamethystea
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

worlds edge

This is all I needed to know about that site:

http://www.cchr.org/index/5258/

CCHR was founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology and the internationally acclaimed author, Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York, Syracuse. At that time, the victims of psychiatry were a forgotten minority group, warehoused under terrifying conditions in institutions around the world. Because of this, CCHR penned a Mental Health Declaration of Human Rights that has served as its guide for mental health reform.
Not that I'm any fan of psychiatry, but the Church of Scientology scares the bejesus out of me. It is basically a criminal enterprise masquerading as a religion.

A

Aquariamethystea

Scientology does bother me too, yat I have heard some bad things about psychiatric abuse from reliable news sources not affiliated with Scientology, which also bothers me. I don't look at things based on the nature of the founding organization so much as the contents of what it distributes, as long as it can be varified by more secular sources.

Esmeralda

What's wrong with Scientology? What's so strange about believing that an intergalactic war started by the evil overlord Xenu caused us all to be flown to Earth in 747s, placed at the foot of volcanoes and blown to bits, which subsequently caused all the souls of the recently dead to flee into the bodies of the survivors who were then packed into a giant theater and brainwashed a la Clockwork Orange? Come on people, be a little open-minded. If you were "clear" this would all make sense.

What's wrong with Scientology? What's so strange about believing that an intergalactic war started by the evil overlord Xenu caused us all to be flown to Earth in 747s, placed at the foot of volcanoes and blown to bits, which subsequently caused all the souls of the recently dead to flee into the bodies of the survivors who were then packed into a giant theater and brainwashed a la Clockwork Orange? Come on people, be a little open-minded. If you were "clear" this would all make sense.
That's hilarious :laugh: :goodone:

But on a serious note friends, there is some truth to that video, only not all the conclusions, nor the reasons for making the video in the first place.
I should write about this one day, but I fear it could be a real nasty trigger.

There are some introductory books on the subject of the video as well:
- "The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow Into Depressive Disorder"
- "Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness"

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
Good point about Scientology... the name Xenu is a bit of a giveaway. It's just so sci-fi, I guess "the evil overlord Peter" doesn't work quite so well.

Anyway on a more serious note, does anyone know much or have opinions on Peter Breggin, he's a psychiatrist who's very anti-medication, and argues that they are being used to control behaviour in schools.

In November 1999 the DEA warned about a record six-fold increase in Ritalin production between 1990 and 1995.

In 1995, an agency of the WHO stated that "10 to 12 percent of all boys between the ages of 6 and 14 in the United States have been diagnosed as having ADD and are being treated with Ritalin"

The United States uses approximately 90% of the world's Ritalin

Last edited by a moderator:

Esmeralda

Yeah, when a science-fiction writer who was quoted as saying "If you ever want to make a million dollars, start your own religion" suddenly comes up with something like Scientology, you might wanna take it with a grain of salt. A great site on this is operationclambake.com

Regarding ADD, I completely agree. When I was a kid in Catholic school, they didn't hand out Ritalin, they locked you in a closet for several minutes. Worked better than any ADD meds they have out on the market. The problem is permissive parenting. The kids come to school and have never been taught how to behave properly or disciplined. The best thing is that now with this ADD craze, the kids with ADD are permitted to stand up and walk around the classroom and engage in disruptive behavior because that is part of the "illness', so the rest of the children have to suffer because one child can't behave.

And here's a newsflash, EVERY kid has trouble concentrating on Science for 45 minutes. It is a learned skill, not something that comes naturally to ANY child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00