psychologist waiting list

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by roo_army, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roo_army

roo_army Member

I cannot believe the waiting list to see a psychologist.
    I went to the doctors explained my 'moderate/severe' depression and was told I could expect to wait 8 weeks to see a psychologist. Even after I admitted that I had considered suicide. (although I maybe downplayed it a little as I didnt want to be sectioned...maybe thats my problem).

Anyway the reason why i find it even MORE annoying, is that I have a bloody psychology bachelors AND masters degree and there are NO assistant psych posts!

2. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

arghhh i hope i havent go to wait that long, im seeing my doc tomoz, and seriously if i have to wait 8 weeks to see one, i will kick up a stink, i may not even be here in 8 weeks :wink:
  3. roo_army

roo_army Member

well it will differ where you live i think.

And you should be honest with your doctor (yehyeh call me a hypocrit),
    if you think you literally wont survive the waiting list, tell them and I'm sure there will be some sort of emergency protocol.

And I'm usually about if you want to PM !
  4. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

It depends on where you go. I have been to several psychologists, and some can get you in sooner than others. If it is an option, try going to someone else.
  5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Holy hell. WTF. You people have it worse than we do in the states. (You in England?)

Wierd that you're practically a psychologist yourself but goes to show I guess.

6. roo_army

roo_army Member

yeah, this is in the UK. thats the NHS for ya. I guess you could get one much quicker if you go privately.

And yeah i guess you can know all the theory, but not really do the practice. Does that make sense? Either that, or I am destined to be the worlds worst psychologist :)
  7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

at least you get to see a psychologist, here in the states you basically need to be wealthy or have health insurance to get help
  8. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

Well i dont know whats gone wrong here then, i have been waiting 18 MthS for my NHS appointment!
  9. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I had to wait a loooong time as's a really messed up system :(
  10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I feel for you. Here in Florida all you have to do is go to the emergency room. Tell them you are suicidal and don't feel safe from yourself. It also helps if you write out your feelings and what ever kind of plans you have thought of. That will usually get you admitted where you can see a shrink, and sometimes a therapist. Those who have no insurance are sent to a phsyc facility called ACT where you will be admitted. It is a slow process but it is usually done within the same day. If I were you I would bring a book to read to pass the time.
    Check with your local hospital and see if they have a place like ACT in your state. I have been to ACT seven times and have been in the regular hospital twice since I got medicare. The hospital is much nicer. Better beds and better food. The main thing is to find out what kind of help you can get on the outside!! I still see a shrink thru ACT and I get my meds thru them because my medicare covers it. I just have to pay a small copay. I wish you luck and hope they have help where you live!!~Joseph~
  11. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

ive been told i have to wait 9 months just to see a counsellor.. im screwed then arent i... lol
  12. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

9 months?! What the...that really sucks. Is there anywhere else you can go that can provide you with some temporary counselling? I have counselling at a small drop in centre and i just ring a week before i want the session and they book me in
  13. Milton

Milton Well-Known Member

9 months is a ridiculously long time.

You probably couldn't get a regular thing this way, but for one off, emergency type situations you might have more luck at a hospital than a GPs surgery.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.