Psychology is bullshit

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Matrixcrypt, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matrixcrypt

Matrixcrypt Active Member

I found this page, and I agree with it. Psychology is bullshit.

Psychology is a total waste of time. It is an area of 'study' that exists because of a large group of people who didnt understand physics, chemistry and biology but wanted to be scientists. They argue that psychology is in fact more complicated that physics, what with the human brain being so complex and difficult to get at without being arrested. This is a good argument, because it justifys them getting their vast grants without the need for any actual results. The work they do is then published in one of many journals which, of course are run by psychologists. The journals are sold to colleges so that their psychology departments can read them. Thus it continues... Efficient, brilliant and simple. A totally self-perpetuating waste of college funds.
    How then do they get away with it ? Simple. Verbosity Personified. By making up large pseudo-scientific slang words they shroud their pointless papers in an esoteric camoflage. Terms like

'Syllogistic Ecphory'
    'Cognitive System'
    'Dimensional Personality Factors'
    'Spacio Temporal Patterns'
    'Emergist Interactionism'
    'Ontological Identity'
    'umwelt'
    'universe-ununiverse'

are examples of this phenomenon.

page >>
    http://cynicalbastards.com/cynic/psych.html

2. J__Doe17

J__Doe17 Member

I know what you mean, I tried it once secretly and it's just bull, all they do is ask questions. They make you question yourself. Last time I tried, once I was done I wanted to kill myself more.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am not certain psychology is a waste of time. Most academic fields if you start trying to read the papers prepared solely for others in the field have names like that - no different than a botanist calls a daisy Bellis perennis - it is used to get rid of any ambiguity caused by local terms for certain things.

Personality types certainly exist and predictions can be made on behaviors based on them. The reason it is less than perfect is no different than a chemistry lab- In human psychology you are "testing" theories and treatments based on "dominant traits" not pure traits. In chemistry if you were doing tests using chemicals that are "mostly ascorbic acid and adding powder that is predominantly HCl" you will not get the same results every time because the contamination with the parts that are not mostly and predominantly.

You do not need a degree in psychology to look at the way somebody is acting and determine something is bothering them - just like you do not need a degree in physics to determine that the vapor coming from hot pavement after a rain is the water drying up (but in both cases they are guesses unless you test -- it is not impossible that it is smoke coming from the pavement...)

4. shedhaddock

shedhaddock Banned Member

I disagree, psychology is not bullshit.

5. YODA1066

YODA1066 Well-Known Member

totaly agree with you endeavour

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would go to a psychologist any day over a psychiatrist they deal with human behavior they listen they truly understand they help a sick mind get well they do not make you feel like you are an illness but you are you

7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Often things seem useless when you don't understand them.

8. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

The right therapist with good training can do miracles for really troubled people.. The same can be done with right medications at the correct dosages..

9. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I agree the majority of people who have posted - I don't believe it to be bullshit, though I don't think you need a degree to understand the behaviour of other people. I find it to be very insightful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.