Psychosis and Lost Memory?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by galalleni, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Howdy All,

There are large chunks of my memory missing from January till now - people are telling me stuff I did and said and I have absolutely no recollection of those times. I even see posts here that I do not remember writing. I was hearing someone inside my head and paranoid about the people around I remember - definitely psychosis - getting treatment now. Is this at all typical or normal?
  2. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

i can't remember much at all sometimes, especially when i'm put on the spot by doctors and nurses try and make me describe things i say i don't want to, i can't remember, i don't want to talk about it because it'd make me anxious if i'm feeling okay right then.

i think it's pretty normal but that's just me?
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey i don't really know if it's typical or not, but i remember that you were drinking a bit at the time so maybe that relates to the memory loss?
  4. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Drinking can explain some of what was happening - but there were times I was completely sober that people have told me I was talking to myself which I do not remember. I'm not sure if maybe it was just drinking, it could have been, it's just very disconcerting - I've never had memory loss like that except when I had to go on Thorazine and Risperdal (I didn't remember anything before taking those either). I took those before I began drinking (which happened once I got off of medication). Makes me wonder if I had a pschotic break during those periods of lost memory - having people telling me I was talking to myself and pacing around saying things.
  5. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

Chances are the memories you've lost are deeply hidden somewhere and being unconsciously's a common ego defense tactic, especially if the memories could be judged as "painful" on a conscious level.

Another possibility is that the intensity of the psychotic episode could have wiped every thing. :unsure: That'd be pretty customary too....
  6. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

i don’t buy the whole repressed memories/recovered memories thing. it all seems pretty questionable, and from what i’ve gleaned, not solid or supported at all. some may understand where i’m coming from, if they think back to the 1980s and the suggestive techniques practiced in psychotherapy, i.e., hypnosis and other outmoded Freudian techniques. but back to this thread, OP, I don’t have an answer for you.
  7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I lost time too when I dissociated to get away from a very traumatic situation...big hugs, J
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.