Psychosis, anyone...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ThoseEmptyWalls, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Im sorry if theres already a topic about this..I done a search and didnt find anything (of course Im new here so I may have messed up)... Anywho...I was wondering if anyone else here has the same condition.. I would love to her your success stories and anything else you want to share.

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I do suffer from psychosis (I hear voices and get really paranoid) but I'm afraid I don't have any success story to share. :( Maybe one day, though. :smile:

3. ThoseEmptyWalls

Its more seeing things for me then it is voices but sometimes I do hear voices too.... I had a very very upsetting incident about two weeks ago and another the week before that..Was horrible..

4. nagisa

If you want to talk about it, I'm here, hun. :hug: I see things sometimes too but not as often as the voices. I hear the voice nearly everyday. I try to ignore them but it's very difficult. Then there are the spirits that follow me. If I told anyone else they'd just think I was crazy. Half the time I don't know what is real and what isn't. I hate that feeling. :(

5. ThoseEmptyWalls

Well it was probably early morning, still dark outside.. I woke up and threw my arm over and realised that I was alone in the bed.. So I open my eyes up and look at my son (who sleeps in his bed next to my bed). I rolled over and looked down the hall. I can see into our kitchen when I roll to the middle or edge of the bed.. We leave a light on in there at all times so I could easily see well. Theres a view of the freezer and theres a space for walking then the counter where the microwave sets.. I saw who I thought was my husband sitting there by the freezer. I called out to him and he did not respond. I raised my voice a bit (but not much as I didnt want to wake my child) and still no responce..I spoke again and he looked at me..I realized then it was not my husband and I went into a total panic.. My heart rate shot up, I couldnt breath, I couldnt move, I was frozen..I closed my eyes tight. I did not dare move or make a sound I was so afraid.. My son spoke to me (he calls out to me a lot in his sleep) and somehow I broke my fear enough to turn over quickly and open my eyes...He was okay..I turned around, scared to death ,just knowing the strange man was standing there...It was gone...

Then the next scary moment.. I was standing in the kitchen with a good view of the window behind the heat stove in the living room.. I saw this face and these eyes - like a demon..I started to scream 'Go away..leave me alone..why are you bothering me'... My husband finally covered the window so I could not see it anymore...

Those were the two most recent things...

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

something like that happened to me before, although i don't know whats actually wrong with me...anyway, i was in the kitchen and i could see my sister sitting across the room from me and i began talking to her and i can even remember what she was wearing, a few minutes later i was wondering where she had gone to and my father told me she is at work and has been all day, i was like wow and in total shock lol, it was a very ''real'' hallucination lol!

7. ThoseEmptyWalls

I was laying down one day.. It was the middle of the day. I just had to lay down for a bit because I was feeling awful.. Anyways, I swore I saw someone looking in my window. Could see everything perfectly.. I jumped up and ran outside looking..My neighbor was out in his yard and he thought I had gone batty or something...

8. When I get struck by my anxiety and paranoia weird things happen. I once saw a door screaming at me with gnashing teeth that it wanted to tear my innards out, I feel like someone is going to stab me in the back and I keep walking around in circles to get them off my trail, I've seen squirrels with cameras, things disappear and reappear at random, and this odd voice kept talking to me for hours before and occasionally pops up. I will sometimes attack people because I think that they are going to harm me and I will hid under tables and stuff in public. Shadows become gunmen and I develop spasms in my arm usually and I can't remember certain things. I will also sometimes talk to inanimate objects or other bizarre things. I will also laugh or acream at random and start jumping or dancing for no reason.

9. ThoseEmptyWalls

I was laying in bed the other night and I swore I could hear wolves..Yes wolves not dogs..It was very un nerving...

10. nagisa

I'm so sick of the voices!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

11. ThoseEmptyWalls

I had my appointment today..They think I should go back on some sort of medication..I have a appointment with someone on the 16th to talk about my medication options..Of course Im not looking forward to it.. Its not only the fact that I hate the medications that have been tried because I know that theres 'probably' one out there that will help me without making me feel like Im dieing..I guess I have developed a sence of calm and belonging in my world of mental illness..I know you all probably think thats completly crazy talk... At least on the medication the voices and seeing things tend to stop..I like that for the most part because some of those hallucinations can be awful scary...

12. nagisa

I understand that completely.

13. ThoseEmptyWalls

Im glad that someone does..I felt ruther silly typing that but it was the truth.

14. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Apparently I have 'schizo affective disorder' which is a psychotic disorder so I guess I have psychosis.

My main problem is voices which are always derogatory towards me; they often tell me to harm myself and how worthless and useless I am. I also seem to drift into a dream like state which leaves me unable to determine what's real and what's not.

I've been on antipsychotics for four years and recently told the professionals that I didn't want to take them anymore, but they advised against it and weren't willing for me to be taken off them :sad:

15. ThoseEmptyWalls

I have two family members who are in the mental health field and another whos a registered nurse.. They agree along with the other professionals on my case that medication is the only way to effectivly treat my condition. Im very upset about that but I guess I have to accept it. Im seeing a new doctor soon and shes willing to work with me from what I was told. I will just start by telling her what I have took and why I didnt like it (The ones I can remember anyways) she will also have my records so that will help. Then I will tell her what side effects are not acceptable. Hopefully she can find something that will suit me and that will actually work and not make me a lazy, numb, zombie...

16. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I've sometimes wondered if I have some kind of psychosis, but after some research, most of my experiences turn out to be in the realm of normalcy. :dry:

One time, I was sitting in the living room reading when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my mother walk from the hallway to the kitchen. I thought it was strange that she hadn't said anything to me, so I called out to her--no response. I got up and found the kitchen empty. After some searching, I discovered my mother was watching a movie in her bedroom; she hadn't even been to the bathroom for half an hour.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to go to sleep, I hear people calling out my name (actually, that's a common phenomenon). Also, I sometimes hear what sounds like people softly marching through snow or leaves. I listen to music to help me go to sleep now.

I also often sense someone that I like to call my doppelganger. It's like someone is standing behind me, looking over my shoulder. If I'm especially anxious, it feels like someone's trying to sneak up on me. The only time I don't feel it is if I'm lying in bed, though sometimes I still sense a presence in the room with me. I usually feel like I'm being watched, too, but I try to reason my way through it.

Oh, and I came across an interesting Wikipedia article the other day on a different way of thinking about hearing voices. It could probably apply to visual as well as auditory hallucinations, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement

17. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't think that i'm 'psychotic'. Doctors often wrongly diagnosis a person of having psychosis because they don't agree with their beliefs and perhaps a person presents to them suffering from severe depression. Do they treat the mood disorder? No, they'll prescribe you antipsychotics and diagnose you with schizo affective disorder. Psychiatrists don't see their job as treating depression, they treat schizophrenia, schizo affective disorder and other 'serious' mental illnesses. Depression is nothing to them and it certainly doesn't compare to psychosis.

18. FireBird

FireBird Well-Known Member

The doctors think that I have schizoaffective disorder and I don't agree. I don't think I am psychotic at all because I don't hear voices all that often. Just rarely. The lovely psychiatrists and psychologist thinks I have delusions. I believe it to be real. A delusion is a "false belief" and mine ain't false. I think the CIA and FBI are after me for no reason. They have implanted chips in me to control my movements and thoughts. I get severe thought insertion at times. Sometimes aliens from another galaxy talk to me through thought insertion as well. They threaten, "The invasion is coming!" It isn't audible as in a voice so that is why I am not psychotic. To prove my point about everyone is out to get me I had a recent art show. There were two people in the building I was at. Literally 90% of the people blew me off and went to the other artist and completely ignored me. They hated me and wanted me to die. Sometimes I tried to wave them over but they were thinking, "She doesn't deserve to succeed." I also get thought broadcasting in my immediate area. The aliens used to tell me that they are broadcasting my thoughts to the universe!

19. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

You sound kind of paranoid to me. You shouldn't be afraid of medication it isn't made to harm people, it only helps decrease paranoid thoughts or agitation. I know if anyone was really out to get you or had inserted chips in you it would be 100% illegal. You'd have one pretty good lawsuit as well.

20. ThoseEmptyWalls

I have started abilify.. The voices arent as bad now..I still hear them sometimes but its more like a quick word that I didnt understand and wasnt even sure I heard or a noise that sounds far off or up close but no one else seems to hear it or can find an explanation for it.. I feel a bit paranoid and I still believe certain people have a grudge and are out to get me.. Im better but not perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.