Psychotic bipolar symptoms underestimated?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find this? I know that a lot of people don't understand bipolar and just see it as just being up or down, but I feel that there are more people that are starting to understand the other symptoms. However, people just really seem not to know about psychotic symptoms in bipolar or think that they only occur within a tiny proportion of bipolar people which just isn't true. You sat psychosis and people just go 'you're not bipolar those are schizophrenic symptoms'. Gah!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I've never been officially diagnosed with bipolar, it was an avenue my psych started to explore but she discharged me before she ever treated me properly or diagnosed me :( I think if I can push it I will get the diagnosis, however I have experienced psychosis. I have suffered it at both ends of the spectrum. When I have been on a "high" I can become deluded and when I don't sleep I start having visual hallucinations. Also when I have been very depressed and paranoid, I have heard auditories, but have only suffered psychosis when moods have been uber extreme. I think it's more common than people think and definitely underestimated.

3. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

I can't speak for professionals, but it sure doesn't seem to be commonly understood amongst laypersons. I have seen it first hand in a parent, friend, and myself though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.