PT 1 basic self-help

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Lorax, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Well, from death, suicidal relationships, betrayal, sexual abuse, to suicide attempts. From me & most my relations, I found a few little things to help me get through.

This is part 1 of a little series of success/ self-help tips. Hope it helps.

1) Have a goal. A goal for your life, that goes beyond the bad periods, beyond the good. What do you love? Work for it. Not everyone is, or should be driven just to be rich. Your goal is the sum of who you are, and no one has the right to tell you what it should be. Work towards it, no matter how you feel, who may try to discourage you, or how impossible it may seem.

2) Hobby, any kind. When i'm stressed or sad about the people i've lost, i wail on the guitar. When i feel the day dragging on, i jump on my favorite video game, or draw. Am I any good? Heavens no! But it's what i love.

3) Work. It may be boring, it may be stressful, but it adds variety to your day. Or volunteer, but you should always try to keep enough money to get by anyways.

4) Talk. A psychiatrist, family, friends. It's very possible you don't have those. The internet can be hit or miss with all the trolls, ect. But most people feel lonely, try talking to new people at the park, or on the bus, or at work. It takes practice, but just keep at it.

5) Ask your doctor if there's a medical condition. Sometimes your body is out of line, and it makes you feel bad. Hormone imbalance, thyroid, ect.

6) Medication. It helps some people, others it doesn't. There are tons of varities/ doses/ combos. Only a doctor can start/ change/ stop them, but if they don't help, just be honest. I've had great/ horrible luck, but being honest eventually got me on a decent combo. For me, i need temporary/ fast acting meds. Others need gentle, daily kinds, others may do better with talking or therapy. Your doc & pharmacist can help there.

7) Be nice. Just being kind tends to open up lots of doors. Don't let your self get used, but just do nice things & compliment people.

8) Step back. Probably the hardest thing to do when you're overwhelmed. But if you can just stop and think about the long term consequences (good or bad) about your actions, you will avoid lots of mistakes.

On the other side, don't get so hung up on temporary things. Yes it may hurt now, but people are designed to move forward. (PTSD being the exception) it's okay to be upset, if you feel guilty about it, you just compound the problem. Just put distance between you & the problem.

9) Don't self medicate. Anything that causes a high or low, causes a greater opposite. If you've ever smoked, you will understand. It won't help fix the basic problem, or make you feel better long-term. I'll put self-harm into this.

The biggest take aways here are, have a goal. A goal you can spend your life working towards. Then set mini goals, it can be to help pass an hour, a day, a month, a year. Only you know what you want from life.

Figure out what's going on. The treatment for temporary situations, or chronic conditions are pretty different. Try to get a regular medical work up ASAP.

Don't get so caught up in the small things. Life hurts sometimes, but by the time the event is over, you've already survived it. Why let it hurt you now? It's easy to say that, but practice repeating it, your brain will eventually learn to handle things differently.

2. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Very good advise.

Goals of any sort give something beyond the moment, agreed.

Great post.

3. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Glad it helped,

Goals are great! But that follow through is my big catch. Gotta make a goal, to follow up my goal list haha.

4. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Yea that is a hard part... A key with any goal is to make sure there are measureable, controlled steps in order to achieve it.