• Both the IOS/ Apple Iphone/ Ipad and the Android/Google versions of the sites mobile app are now available for download from the resources page. The app is free for all members. This app will allow you to get notifications on your mobile device whenever a thread or forum you watch has a new post, when your thread or posts get replies, when you recive a private message, etc. The links to download the app are in the resoiurces area - https://www.suicideforum.com/community/resources/categories/example-category.1/

PTSD and bathing/showering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I am just curious, does anyone else feel a relief from their PTSD (If caused by sexual abuse) when bathing or showering. I love baths and showers, had a 20 min shower a while ago and felt so great after it, have the water really hot, I feel relief when I do. I feel less dirty. I brought this up with my doctor a few months ago, she said its a classic PTSD symptom. I'm not a clean freak by any means but the hot water does relieve my trauma a little. I guess that's a good thing to have found though, right? Anyone else?

Aprilflowers7

A lot of times I take baths because I like them better. I like really hot water. Usually my water bill ends up being around the same whether I take a bath or shower, so it doesn't really matter which one I have.

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Cool to know I'm not the only one and I love choosing awesome scenting lotions and gels like strawberry or even chocolate. I guess it is a harmful, healthy habit :)

sunnypseudo

Yes and no. Some days showering freaks me out, but since my dogs usually stand sentry outside my bathroom door I began to relax a bit more. If I see them, I feel better. Otherwise, the full scrub down/scrub out is very relieving. I also tend to wash my hands probably too much. I have a thing about being clean. During the summer I tend to take multiple showers and go as far as to wash my feet almost as much as I wash my hands.

SBV24

i take a shower and feel better after, like it's a fresh start for me, the only thing that makes me dread taking a bath/shower is that I hate the feeling of wet hair and when i spiral down again i stop caring about myself although i continue to do things for those around me.

new scents or trying out new bath product will somewhat encourage me to take a bath/shower despite my hate of wet hair.

Lynne1974

I hate showering. It takes up a lot of energy. I feel vulnerable and unsafe with no clothes on. And I'm afraid one day I'll have a panic attack while naked. My panic attacks have a large element of literal "flight" to them. I can dissociate and end up somewhere totally else without realizing it, or being able to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$480.00
Goal
$255.00