1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD and bathing/showering

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Petal, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am just curious, does anyone else feel a relief from their PTSD (If caused by sexual abuse) when bathing or showering. I love baths and showers, had a 20 min shower a while ago and felt so great after it, have the water really hot, I feel relief when I do. I feel less dirty. I brought this up with my doctor a few months ago, she said its a classic PTSD symptom. I'm not a clean freak by any means but the hot water does relieve my trauma a little. I guess that's a good thing to have found though, right? Anyone else?

SBV24 likes this.
  2. Aprilflowers7

Aprilflowers7 Well-Known Member

A lot of times I take baths because I like them better. I like really hot water. Usually my water bill ends up being around the same whether I take a bath or shower, so it doesn't really matter which one I have.

Petal likes this.
  3. Kalicka

Kalicka SF Supporter

Hot baths and showers help me as well. Interestingly enough, tends to be one of the things I fail to do when the depression gets bad.

SBV24 and Petal like this.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Cool to know I'm not the only one and I love choosing awesome scenting lotions and gels like strawberry or even chocolate. I guess it is a harmful, healthy habit :)

5. sunnypseudo

sunnypseudo Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Some days showering freaks me out, but since my dogs usually stand sentry outside my bathroom door I began to relax a bit more. If I see them, I feel better. Otherwise, the full scrub down/scrub out is very relieving. I also tend to wash my hands probably too much. I have a thing about being clean. During the summer I tend to take multiple showers and go as far as to wash my feet almost as much as I wash my hands.

Petal likes this.
  6. SBV24

SBV24 Well-Known Member

i take a shower and feel better after, like it's a fresh start for me, the only thing that makes me dread taking a bath/shower is that I hate the feeling of wet hair and when i spiral down again i stop caring about myself although i continue to do things for those around me.

new scents or trying out new bath product will somewhat encourage me to take a bath/shower despite my hate of wet hair.

sunnypseudo and Petal like this.
  7. Lynne1974

Lynne1974 Well-Known Member

I hate showering. It takes up a lot of energy. I feel vulnerable and unsafe with no clothes on. And I'm afraid one day I'll have a panic attack while naked. My panic attacks have a large element of literal "flight" to them. I can dissociate and end up somewhere totally else without realizing it, or being able to do anything about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.