PTSD service dog?

I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll do my best. For a while, I've been thinking about getting a service dog for PTSD. I was diagnosed with it sometime around July. I was hospitalized for suicide ideation. I'm not sure what steps to take to get one though. I saw that there are some golden retriever breeders around my area. I was thinking about buying one and getting it trained to be a PTSD service dog. But I don't know if that's how the process works. I thought I would be happier living by myself. In a way, I am because I don't have to deal with my verbally abusive family anymore. But I feel so lonesome. During this time of year, I feel too anxious to go outside. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold, or the holidays just make me more depressed in general. I don't even know if I want to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I always felt like an outcast with them. I do talk to my aunt occasionally, because she did help me, despite her flaws. But I recently shaved my hair, and I don't want my family to see it until it is long again, and all of them are Christians and I'm currently studying Islam. I don't know how they will feel about me wanting to convert. But I'm sure they won't be happy with it. I still get memories of being bullied during elementary/middle school, my parents fighting with each other and them abusing me, and that painful experience of basic training. I'll never understand why my parents thought me going to the military would be a good thing for me. I also get strange dreams. I don't know if they're related to my memories, I don't really remember them. I just remember them being really bizarre. With a dog, I can feel I can have something that won't judge me, motivate me to go outside, and will make the holidays less painful for me. No, I'm not looking for an ESA. I do not drive I either walk or take a bus. if I have an ESA I'll have to walk it, then walk it back to my apartment since I won't be able to take it to public places. With a service dog, I would be able to walk the dog and do what I need to do at the same time. I know I could pass off an ESA as a service dog, but I would feel terrible for doing that. Another issue is my landlord does not allow pets, but I think they would take a service dog more seriously than an ESA. I can tell them that I was a veteran and I got depression from being in service.

Aves

Hi @Mysticrose, I had to have a little look round on the internet as I’m unfamiliar with how it is for service dogs in the U.S. It looks like you can go to your Dr to apply for a service dog or like you said, I think you can also buy one and train it up with an agency. So maybe your first port of call could be to speak with your Dr? I would assume the diagnosis for PTSD would really help your case. I’m sorry if you’ve done this already or if it’s not an option for you. My sister in law has a guide dog and it improves her life significantly, she is able to have more independence and it helps with her anxiety in crowded places. I’m sorry you’re feeling so bad at the moment, I hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited:

LOSTINSIGHT

I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll do my best. For a while, I've been thinking about getting a service dog for PTSD. I was diagnosed with it sometime around July. I was hospitalized for suicide ideation. I'm not sure what steps to take to get one though. I saw that there are some golden retriever breeders around my area. I was thinking about buying one and getting it trained to be a PTSD service dog. But I don't know if that's how the process works. I thought I would be happier living by myself. In a way, I am because I don't have to deal with my verbally abusive family anymore. But I feel so lonesome. During this time of year, I feel too anxious to go outside. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold, or the holidays just make me more depressed in general. I don't even know if I want to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I always felt like an outcast with them. I do talk to my aunt occasionally, because she did help me, despite her flaws. But I recently shaved my hair, and I don't want my family to see it until it is long again, and all of them are Christians and I'm currently studying Islam. I don't know how they will feel about me wanting to convert. But I'm sure they won't be happy with it. I still get memories of being bullied during elementary/middle school, my parents fighting with each other and them abusing me, and that painful experience of basic training. I'll never understand why my parents thought me going to the military would be a good thing for me. I also get strange dreams. I don't know if they're related to my memories, I don't really remember them. I just remember them being really bizarre. With a dog, I can feel I can have something that won't judge me, motivate me to go outside, and will make the holidays less painful for me. No, I'm not looking for an ESA. I do not drive I either walk or take a bus. if I have an ESA I'll have to walk it, then walk it back to my apartment since I won't be able to take it to public places. With a service dog, I would be able to walk the dog and do what I need to do at the same time. I know I could pass off an ESA as a service dog, but I would feel terrible for doing that. Another issue is my landlord does not allow pets, but I think they would take a service dog more seriously than an ESA. I can tell them that I was a veteran and I got depression from being in service.

Good idea go for it .
Does the VA help with your depression treatment ,,you were in the army ?

Waves

Do what you need to do to feel safe. A service dog can cost $6,000 and more. Maybe check out vet sites and programs about service dogs and maybe a donor can fund a dig for you. Or a go fund me site. Good luck. Sorry about military.

LOSTINSIGHT

Do what you need to do to feel safe. A service dog can cost $6,000 and more. Maybe check out vet sites and programs about service dogs and maybe a donor can fund a dig for you. Or a go fund me site. Good luck. Sorry about military.
Very good point ,,I've been on go fund me and I'm furious at some of the go fund me's,so bad I think there a joke ,@Mysticrose you should definitely look into this ,,many would donate ,,you deserve it .

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Looking into programs that help those who were in the military get service dogs might be a good idea. I believe some of those programs help offset some of the costs. Have you asked the VA about service dogs?

With a dog, I can feel I can have something that won't judge me, motivate me to go outside, and will make the holidays less painful for me. No, I'm not looking for an ESA. I do not drive I either walk or take a bus. if I have an ESA I'll have to walk it, then walk it back to my apartment since I won't be able to take it to public places. With a service dog, I would be able to walk the dog and do what I need to do at the same time. I know I could pass off an ESA as a service dog, but I would feel terrible for doing that. Another issue is my landlord does not allow pets, but I think they would take a service dog more seriously than an ESA.
You might be able to get away with a little well-behaved dog that you can fit into a hand bag.

As was mentioned above, there are some obstacles to getting an official service dog. There are cost issues as well as regulatory ones. I'm not sure if your landlord would be legally obligated to permit an official service dog.

Strictly speaking, a little dog would still be against the rules, but you have a good chance of getting away with it. Animals are restricted on public transportation and in housing because of the problems they can cause, but if there are no incidents or damage, everyone might be inclined to overlook it.

You might be able to get away with a little well-behaved dog that you can fit into a hand bag.

As was mentioned above, there are some obstacles to getting an official service dog. There are cost issues as well as regulatory ones. I'm not sure if your landlord would be legally obligated to permit an official service dog.

Strictly speaking, a little dog would still be against the rules, but you have a good chance of getting away with it. Animals are restricted on public transportation and in housing because of the problems they can cause, but if there are no incidents or damage, everyone might be inclined to overlook it.
I was looking to get a golden retriever. But your suggestion does make sense. I also live in a studio apartment. What small breed do you suggest?

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, I've been doing some research.
Another issue is my landlord does not allow pets, but I think they would take a service dog more seriously than an ESA
From the landlord's perspective, they're going to be worried about damage to the apartment from chewing and scratching, especially if it's a furnished apartment. Odors and stains caused by animals are another issue. Animals can also bring in fleas, or cause fires by knocking over candles, etc.

Landlords will also be worried about complaints from neighbors, particularly if they're are also tenants of the same landlord who might be driven off.

The biggest concern is if the animal is dangerous, but excessive barking is the most likely problem.

You can make a request under the Fair Housing Act for an emotional support animal. It looks like you'd have as much legal protection for an ESA as you would for a service dog, at least as far as housing goes.

Once you figure out what kind of ESA you want, you may want to talk to the landlord. If the animal you request wouldn't be too much of a burden, the landlord may decide not to resist. It's probably best to follow up any request with a formal request in writing, with a copy of a letter from a mental health professional supporting your ESA request (a MH professional may already know the format requirements for such a letter, but it may be helpful to reveiw those requirements to ensure that the MH provider observes them). The request should be signed and dated. Sending it via certified mail, return receipt requested, may help you to establish when you sent the request. Keeping a copy of all documents could help too.

There are some grounds for a landlord to deny a request, like safety or unreasonable costs, but it looks like generally they would be obligated to make an accommodation, and to also waive any pet-related fees or deposits, as an ESA is not a pet as far as the law is concerned.

If your request is denied, you can file a complaint with the FHEO. You may also be able to take other legal actions.

Information from the HUD's website that I have linked below may be helpful, and I'd recommend reading the PDF file titled "Notice FHEO-2020-01: Assessing a Person’s Request to Have an Animal as a Reasonable Accommodation Under the Fair Housing Act (January 28, 2020)" which is linked at the bottom of that page.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/assistance_animals

Here are a few excerpts from the PDF file that may be particularly notable:
------------------------
The Fair Housing Act (FHA) makes it unlawful for a housing provider to refuse to make a reasonable accommodation that a person with a disability may need in order to have equal opportunity to enjoy and use a dwelling. One common request housing providers receive is for a reasonable accommodation to providers’ pet or no animal policies so that individuals with disabilities are permitted to use assistance animals in housing, including public and common use areas.

Assistance animals are not pets.They are animals that do work, perform tasks, assist, and/or provide therapeutic emotional support for individuals with disabilities. There are two types of assistance animals: (1) service animals, and (2) other animals that do work, perform tasks, provide assistance, and/or provide therapeutic emotional support for individuals with disabilities (referred to in this guidance as a “support animal”).

An animal that does not qualify as a service animal or other type of assistance animal is a pet for purposes of the FHA and may be treated as a pet for purposes of the lease and the housing provider’s rules and policies. A housing provider may exclude or charge a fee or deposit for pets in its discretion and subject to local law but not for service animals or other assistance animals.

While it is not necessary to submit a written request or to use the words “reasonable accommodation,” “assistance animal,” or any other special words to request a reasonable accommodation under the FHA, persons making a request are encouraged to do so in order to avoid miscommunication. Persons with disabilities may also want to keep a copy of their reasonable accommodation requests and supporting documentation in case there is a later dispute about when or whether a reasonable accommodation request was made. Likewise, housing providers may find
it helpful to have a consistently maintained list of reasonable accommodation requests.

A resident may request a reasonable accommodation either before or after acquiring the assistance animal. An accommodation also may be requested after a housing provider seeks to terminate the resident’s lease or tenancy because of the animal’s presence, although such timing may create an inference against good faith on the part of the person seeking a reasonable accommodation. However, under the FHA, a person with a disability may make a reasonable accommodation request at any time, and the housing provider must consider the reasonable accommodation request even if the resident made the request after bringing the animal into the housing.

What small breed do you suggest?
As I've been researching this, it's clear that there's a lot of complexity to picking a dog. A Chihuahua sounds like it would definitely at least be worth looking into though.

It sounds like a pretty good apartment dog overall, could serve well as an ESA, and might be pretty easy to smuggle onto public transpo, especially if it's well trained.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00