Public stares in the street. Whats normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkdrops

Ok I guess I just wanted your thoughts on when it comes to bieng looked at publicly like when walking down the street. It may be me but I find sometimes other people kind of prolong a look at me in the eyes as they walk past (both male and female of all ages) and it kind of gets my back up. I am not abnormal in anyway or different at all infact some might say i'm an attractive fellow (opinions vary but I have been told it) I guess I worry people are lookin at me like i'm a piece of s**t or wierd or something or like they look at me as a zoo animal or something.

What would be considered normal from passers by in terms of looking? anyone know anything about whats normal and what isnt? thx.

W

wienerman

i get the same, people seem to look at me like i am a piece of dirt, i just put it down to total ignorance.

Abacus21

Staff Alumni
This may not be helpful advice, but, and this is just what I do: if people give me funny looks, I give them a glare back!

Works for me!

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Wow... I don't think there IS a 'normal' way of looking at others when out in public. Some people are rude and stare and point and make remarks, some just look at others as I do in airports with time to kill: I 'people-watch'. I just like to look at passers-by and wonder where they're going and such. I try not to stare obviously or rudely, and believe I succeed, as I was raised not to be rude or mean to those I saw in public or anywhere.

But I can't describe a 'normal' way to look at other people. And sometimes I, too, glare back. Usually I don't dignify their rudeness with a response of any kind. I just ignore them. Or pretend I can't hear.:huh: Or pretend I don't speak English. Or just look RIGHT THRU THEM!!! That makes them crazy, as if you don't even see them.

Oh well, I guess I didn't answer your question, but I don't think you or I have any control over how we're observed by others. As long as it's not threatening or harmful I don't really care.

oblivious to lots of things,:blink: :rolleyes:

least

TLA

Antiquitie's Friend
Milkdrops said:
Ok I guess I just wanted your thoughts on when it comes to bieng looked at publicly like when walking down the street. It may be me but I find sometimes other people kind of prolong a look at me in the eyes as they walk past (both male and female of all ages) and it kind of gets my back up. I am not abnormal in anyway or different at all infact some might say i'm an attractive fellow (opinions vary but I have been told it) I guess I worry people are lookin at me like i'm a piece of s**t or wierd or something or like they look at me as a zoo animal or something.

What would be considered normal from passers by in terms of looking? anyone know anything about whats normal and what isnt? thx.

YEAH, I hate that. Especially when you are the only person on the street.
True, that is what people do and they do not mean anything by it, but it can be truely annoying. It makes us feel like we are jerks for existing; but, I think it is a measure of our self-esteem and how confident we are on that particular day.
It can be different if you are staring back at them too. It takes practice.
Personally, in my view, I learned to give them a SMILE and sometimes friendly ppl will say HI back to me. They say a confident person is one that looks up, not down at the ground. So, I try to do that. Course, you find money if you are looking down, lol.
There is no normal in anything. Maybe a psychological publication can give you direct satistics, but I would not worry...ppl stare when they are bored or unsure of themselves. It also could be people watching.
Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00