Punching myself

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Marko, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko

Marko Member

Ever since i was a teenager i would hit myself when i got super frustrated. It started with just my legs, but then i moved to my chest, head and face. I stopped comepletely for a few years, but about a year ago i started again. My brother used to do this as well I dont know why i do it, but when im having an anxiety attack its kinda my go to method I talked to a therapist about it when i was 19 [now 23] and he just told me it was really weird and i needed to stop, which just caused me to lie to him for the rest of the sessions. Does anyone else do this? Any ideas on ways to control myself during an anxiety attack?

Fading_Awayy likes this.
  2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I am sorry your therapist met you like that about it. It's self harm, and you need to learn some more healthy coping mechanisms to handle your anxiety. Would you consider talking to a new therapist about it?

I used to do similar things when I was younger and I recently did something along those lines too (I mostly cut now when I SH sadly). In college I had a friend who used to do what you do, as well as biting her nails.

I talked to my therapist about these things, and I used to do it even before I knew it was anxiety. Anxiety attacks are horrible and we would do anything to make them go away. But you need to find a healthier outlet or method. What about breathing techniques? Mindfulness? Distractions?

Please try to be kind to yourself. You don't deserve to hurt yourself

3. Marko

Marko Member

unfortunately i had been using pot to calm myself down for a while, it worked very well actually to stop anxiety attacks, but i felt like it was making me more prone to having them when i was sober. I had also used breathing techniques, or just put myself in a situation where i had to be around people.

I guess the best technique i've used is going for a drive. For some reason getting behind the wheel instantly puts me in a more stable state, i guess it gives me something to focus on.

4. Fading_Awayy

Fading_Awayy SF Supporter

I can relate it happens to me alot , I usually listen to music that calms me down or take a walk or take big long slow breaths , and just try to distract myself , good luck I hope you find even better ways :) and please don't do alot of pot it's really bad for you in the long term.

5. Marko

Marko Member

Oh ive recently quit smoking for good. Too much of a distraction and it made cough like an old man all the time haha

Fading_Awayy likes this.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I used to do that too. And I used to pinch myself a lot too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.