Purpose Through Adversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurkhardo

Just another musing of mine. Forgive me if it seems like I'm just plugging in for my blog, I just figure a link is easier than just copying and pasting it everywhere.

Hope I get some good feedback :)

chjones21

Oh in fact I did get to read it when I clicked the lower link (your blog link). Yah, I think there is yin and yang and most things are defined by their opposite... I don't think that is the purpose of life tho but then I am religious (I think?) so my thought would be that the purpose of life is to know God.

And escaping from the perception of dualities (or however it is called) is perhaps the final part of knowing God...?

But apart from what I think which is boring ... I thought your essay/piece was beautifully written.

Zurkhardo

Ah, my mistake, I didn't realize it was linked to Facebook. Sorry.

I doubt your thoughts are boring! Please feel free to share. You're talk about dualities is a big part of what I was getting at. Otherwise, thank you for your compliments and taking the time to read :)

Phteven

so i've been trying to organize my thoughts in an attempt to not sound dumb, as I don't know if I'm fully grasping what you're trying to say in your blog post, but all I can come up with is that you've written something that is an interesting concept yet I think it might be a bit of an oversimplification of complex idea. I do however feel there is a lot of truth in what you say and it makes me think....like how do we define success without having to know what failure is 1st in order to be able to succeed from something. Interesting post and its got me thinking so thx for sharing....

Chargette

The last sentence of your blog post sums it up well:

"And it is this natural state of divergences and clashes that is so dynamic, so beautiful inspite of its absurdity."

The word dynamic stands out to me. To me dynamic means movement of back and forth.

Your description of an individual questing the why's of the way life works is well done. Have you read Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament? It is the writing of King Solomon asking questions of the same type.

jota1

""Everything is in constant conflict with everything else. We live in a system—globally, naturally, and universally—that is in constant flux and change and chaos and disagreement. And it is this natural state of divergences and clashes that is so dynamic, so beautiful inspite of its absurdity.""

The fact is that we are self destructive if there is no chaos to rearrange or challenge us.

Im not sure I would call it beautiful though. How can absurdity be a constant normal. I could do with less challenge in my life!

Zurkhardo

The last sentence of your blog post sums it up well:

"And it is this natural state of divergences and clashes that is so dynamic, so beautiful inspite of its absurdity."

The word dynamic stands out to me. To me dynamic means movement of back and forth.

Your description of an individual questing the why's of the way life works is well done. Have you read Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament? It is the writing of King Solomon asking questions of the same type.
Thank you Chargette. It's been some time, so I'll have to re-read it again.

Zurkhardo

The fact is that we are self destructive if there is no chaos to rearrange or challenge us.

Im not sure I would call it beautiful though. How can absurdity be a constant normal. I could do with less challenge in my life!
It's a good point. Maybe that's just my way of dealing with it, or perhaps I find it beautiful in the sense that it can drive us to develop better technologies, solutions, or just plain sheer willpower to persevere. There's something beautiful in the struggle I suppose.

johnnysays

There is creating and then there is fighting to survive and then there is addiction. That's my perspective from looking at games and thinking about them. In some games I can get lost in creating something. It's like painting a picture. Sometimes I erase the picture and make a new one. Sometimes I throw it away and start with a new blank canvas. And in others I fight to survive and from the fight comes purpose. It's something that happens with time. And there is the addiction. You press the lever and out comes your reward. You do it over and over because the activity has hijacked your mind's reward pathways. These are the main themes I've seen in games.

An evolutionary study recently concluded that having new land to expand into was as much (or close to) a benefit to species evolution as competition to survive. Previously, it was thought that new lands to expand into were less important. This leads into my idea that the fight to survive is different somehow from creating things. They can feed off each other though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00