pus

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Lost Forever, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost Forever

Lost Forever Well-Known Member

my last cut is really deep. It was bleeding couple of days and sticking to my clothes. Now the wound is full of pus. I want go to doctors. What should i do?

2. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

I think you should go with your instinct and go to the doctors. Pus can be sign of an infection. In the meantime keep it clean and try to keep your clothes off it (i.e. put a bandage on) so you don't end up with fibres stuck in it.

3. Lost Forever

I dont care 'bout infection... is there anything i can do myself? i mean without doctors?

4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Cuts and Abrasions (scratches)

Cutting and scratching are also very common forms of Self Injury and taking care of them so that they don't become infected is important.

To treat cuts...

Clean the area thoroughly with warm water and soap. Carefully wash away any dirt that could be present.

Apply pressure directly onto the wound until it stops bleeding. (more information on external bleeding is in this first aid section)

Bandage up the wound using clean, dry bandages.

If the cut is very deep professional medical advice may be needed and so get it seen to as quickly as possible. Your health is more important than keeping your SI a secret and if it doesn't get seen to and problems occur you will be worse off in the long run.

To treat abrasions (scratches)...

Wash the area thoroughly with soap and warm water, washing away any dirt present.

If it bleeds or oozes, bandage it. This is to protect it from infection.

Signs of an Infected Wound

If the wound appears infected medical assistance is required as soon as possible. The signs of an infected wound are as follows:

Swelling
    Redness
    Pain
    It may cause a fever
    Presence of pus

External Bleeding

It is important to stop the bleeding. Although some people SI for the sight of the blood, too much blood loss can be dangerous and so it should be stopped as soon possible. To stop the bleeding take the following steps...

Apply pressure directly onto where the blood is coming from.

Place a clean cloth folded up over the wound continuing to apply direct pressure.

If blood soaks through the cloth do not remove it, but add another cloth on top of it.

Continue to apply pressure for 7-10 minutes.

Elevate the injury so that it is above heart level, whilst still applying pressure.

If steps 1 and 2 do not work then apply pressure to the pressure points nearest the injury.

Arm: it is located on the upper part of the arm.

Leg: it is located in the creases in the upper leg.

Apply pressure to the artery between the bone directly behind it and your finger (or the palm of your hand if it is on the leg).

5. Lost Forever

Thank you Carolyn. Anybody knows what should i do, if i want go to doctors?

6. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

If you want to go to the doctor, it depends on how soon you want to see them. If you think its bad enough to warrant going now, you can just go to the emergency walk-in.

If you think it can wait, just call for an appointment.

I'm not sure if places other than Canada have after-hours clinics, but that would be another option if you thought you wanted to see someone now who could give you good advice.

As for what to do when you're in the doc's office? Tell them why you're concerned (I believe I have a cut which has become infected, and I was wondering what to do about it.) They'll ask to see, you show them. It's a 50/50 chance they'll ask how you got the cut. Some will, some won't. Your GP probably would, while after-hours clinics probably won't.

Your doctor (if it is infected) will prescribe some kind of antibiodic, and possibly a dissinfectant. They'll give you stitches(if required) and bandage you up after cleaning the wound nicely.

That's about what to expect. Which is what I think you wanted to know.

7. Canti

Canti Guest

Book an apointment and turn up. Or you could always clean it yourself then put a bandaid on it. thats what ive done and ive never had an infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.