Quality of life

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by gforce7, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gforce7

gforce7 Active Member

I was wondering if there is some sort of scale online where you could enter various details about yourself and which would measure your 'quality of life'?

I know these things are impossible to quantify objectively but I want to know roughly... is mine so low - have I got a 'right' to be this sad and depressed?

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

How about this. Now I don't know if it would be any good to you because it's pdf-based, and my MSN TV 2 is just a terrible .pdf reader.

As to how you frame your question, you have every right in the world to be morbidly depressed. :poke:

A different way to ask it is, "Don't I have the 'right' to be happy?" And you know what - not necessarily. Governmentally, the U.S. Constitution for example guarantees us the right to the pursuit of happiness. lol

In short, you raised an interested question, awkward phrased.

ToHelp

3. gforce7

gforce7 Active Member

Thankyou for your reply and the link ToHelp.

It kinds of confirms my fears...I have much/severe difficullty on the vast majority of those scales. I really do have a very poor quality of life according to that.:sad:

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:shake: But you are not alone Gforce. You know, I always hated such generic 'litmus' type tests or measures of interest. The standardized testing. I still remember fresh out of high school taking a kind of test that was supposed to show what career-fields I would most be suited ("standardized interest test," I suppose).

I came out like ____________________. Just flatline, with no 'statistically significant' preference for any one field. I thought that was the stupidest ordeal to put a young person through. I always knew my twin passions (writing + psychology) and never needed a computer to tell me!. :rofl:

Try and not let some outside "scales" get you further down, bro.

Ardently resist stereotyping ("I'm a depressive"); strongly resist slotting and labeling (Søren Kierkegaard - "Once you label me, you negate me).

Be YOUR best ally.

I want to tell you a short story. Do you know what I first heard the Kierkegaard quote? Well, I didn't hear it; I read it from Wayne Dyer in his massively best-selling book, Your Erroneous Zones. He wrote,

The very act of labeling might be a specific deterrent to growth. It's easy to use the label as justification for remaining the same. Søren Kierkegaard wrote, "Once you label me, you negate me."

Dyer didn't simply stop there though, and went on to explain what this meant.

When the individual must live up to the label, the self ceases to exist. The same is true of self-labels. You can be negating yourself by identifying with your trademarks rather than your own potential for growth. All self-labels come from an individual's history. But the past, as Carl Sandburg said in Praire, is a bucket of ashes.

ToHelp

5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I love that damned book. lol In it, he also delves into the psychology of "growth" versus "deficiency" as motivator to change, explaining that seeking to grow is the superior method.

When you're trying to repair a deficiency, you're not moving forward. You're focusing all this energy onto a negative in your life.

What happens to what we focus on?

It expands, that's right. :thumbup: Move forward and your're growing.

Yes, I know none of this may apply if you're beyond depressed and well into suicidal to a point where you have dates planned and published already. lol Can't help you, there.

But it's good, basic psychology for those still interested in living.

ToHelp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.