Quality vs. Quantity of Life

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by rtrt46546565, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see much point in living until I'm 60, 70, 80 or whatever if I'm gonna continue being this miserable. Sure, things might eventually get better for me, but if not then I just can't imagine living this way for that long. To me, quality of life is more important than the quantity and I feel like if I can't be happy and live a fulfilling life then why stick around?

I'm just curious how you all feel about this...

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

In surface theory, I kind of agree with you in concept. I watch these commercials on the TV where some old person has fallen down and can't get up, or see them advertising adult diapers, or hear about all the horrible disabling diseases and aches and pains we'll see when we're old... and I get the same thoughts as you just said. On the other hand, as I grow older (I am 52 now), more and more in life opens up for me. As you get older, in theory, you get more established and have more things, more time you can enjoy, room for those hobbies and interests you once ignored. We also begin to find more interest in the things we made fun of our parents for (watching the news on TV more, putting on talk radio instead of rock music, caring for our lawns, fixing things around the house, etc.). I used to think my parents were goof's for all that, but find myself doing them more and more now.

Life has much more in store, regardless of how old we become... Regardless of the aches and pains that we develop. I try to exercise more and eat right so that I don't "fall down and can't get up," but too... I try to make each day worthwhile. Quality vs. quantity, as you say... but what is wrong with having both? I want to have both quality and quantity and so I set goals for both. I think we can't let the moment get us down, we have to always reach for more. I haven't done everything I want to in my life yet and I will hopefully die an old man not having done it all... but at least knowing that I crammed in as much as I was able.

Setting goals, having plans and a roadmap to wellness, is the only way to have both quality and quantity at the same time.

3. rtrt46546565

^Well for me it's not so much the physical problems I'm worried about, it's more the mental problems I have now continuing and living a meaningless life. I just can't see myself dealing with the issues I have for the rest of my life. I already wanna end it now, at 22... I don't see how I can hold on for all those years if something doesn't change. And I also can't see myself living like the average person does. Going to a job that I hate everyday, worrying about bills, stressing about money, barely having any time to myself, not being able to do the things I wanna do... That's just not me. I need more outta life than that. I don't have a good outlook on life due to how our society is set up and I don't have a good outlook on myself due to my issues, and I just feel that if something doesn't change for the better, if I can't become happy one of these days, if I can't come across a reason to live... Well then I'd rather just not live.

But on a happier note, it's good to hear that you're handling things well. :)

4. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I agree with you in the sense that quality is more important than quantity when it comes to the years of my life. That is why I aim to eat healthy and take care of myself while I am youthful and strong. Others claim that some live long lives despite the abuse they put themselves through like smoking, drinking, etc. But if they look at that individual they will know that their health is anything but ideal. I know of an older woman that can still do things for herself while others her age are dependent on others. I personally would like to stay independent as long as I can. I would like to thrive in my golden years not simply exist. But that's what children are for to take care of the parents once they can no longer care for themselves.

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Matt-life can and will improve for you if you put forth some effort. I can't help but notice that you assume that there is no joy in life. This simply isn't so. Joy can be found in almost anything. It is all about attitude. I grew up in a home where the breadwinner did nothing but come home and spew out negativity. Anytime I work I rejoice. Working a job and accomplishing something gives me satisfaction. It gives me purpose. Worrying about bills isn't that big a problem when you live within your means. I too used to have issues with society amd the world around me, but sitting around idle did nothing to improve it. If you don't like how something is, get off your couch and do something positive about it. Waiting around for things to get better or for someone else to fix things for you is unrealistic. Your setting yourself up for failure by saying I CAN'T do this or I Won't do that. There are plenty of things that people would rather not do but they do it to improve their lives and care for themselves or others. Being idle judging things with no action will make your life meaningless. Grab some motivation, and determination. Make it meaningful! Don't waste your youthful strength any longer. Do some soul searching, and grab the hope that's offered to you.
    I have been where you are and I am passed it. Take it from me, life requires participation. The possibilities are endless. Blessings...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
  6. rtrt46546565

^I agree with you that life takes effort and participation, it's just extremely difficult for me to move forward in my current situation. I don't believe a quality life will just be handed to us, I think we have to make it for ourselves. But I'm just saying that if I can't make a quality life for myself, regardless if it's due to my own fault or otherwise, I'd just rather not live life then.

Thanks for your words. :)

7. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe you can make your situation better. I would tell myself that every morning. Instead of, if this or that, I would say, I am. Today I am going to do such in such, and with a smile! Then I would do it. Your welcome, and give a positive view a fighting chance. It may take a month or so to form a permanent positive outlook and to break the old negative one but it's worth it. Your negative outlook is controlling your life. This can easily be fixed by grabbing ahold of those thoughts and replacing them with positive ones. I rebuke thoughts that I don't like all the time. Blessings..

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

For me personally, my life never had and never will have any value, and I never saw myself living that long. So I know how this needs to end no matter what. But I hope you find something that will make you want to live till old age and that you will have a fulfilling life.

9. rtrt46546565

^I know how you feel because I feel the same. My life has always been shit and I think it always will be shit, and I don't see myself living that long, either. But hopefully something changes for the both of us that'll make that not be the case and make us actually wanna live and grow old.

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

as soon as im incapable of enjoying the life i wish to lead i shall go out and end it.
    I couldnt bare living in an old peoples home suffering a living death. i want to die with dignity and on my own terms.
    Doing it my way also means i will be able to sort all my affairs out before i do cease to exist. much more practical and dignified

11. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I think the comments about taking good care of both mental and physical self are really spot on. Just like when you have an exotic car, you don't put cheap oil or gas in it and you don't treat it badly and drive it over curbs, over heat it, let it get banged around, etc. When you take good care of something, it lasts a lot longer and is in much better shape as it grows old. An old car, after all, can be either a junk or rusted metal, or it can be a classic or antique that you take to car shows. People are like this too. In addition, old people in "homes" can be very happy - they may have build an enjoyable life, may have fun interests or great hobbies, they may have grandchildren that they enjoy, and etc. The old saying of "life is what you make of it" may sound stupid and may not be believed when someone is depressed, but when you take what I just said into consideration, it rings extremely true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.