question & a bit of rant

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by tired82, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tired82

tired82 Well-Known Member

I've decided that I should seek therapy. I don't know how severe my depression is, but I do think about suicide just about everyday.

My wonderful insurance from work covers 5 or 10 sessions per calendar year with pre-certification for psychologists or psychiatrist. No other kinds of therapist are listed in the directory.

So is either choice ok? My primary phsy. had me on Lexapro for a while & though it helped a little, I stopped taking it after a month b/c the side-effects sucked. My concern w/ a psychiatrist is that they will be prescription-happy.

Plus my financial situation is a huge part of my depression. Lexapro was $75 for a month's supply even w/ the insurance. How does a sliding scale work?

It seems retarded to have a pre-certification process. Am I suppose to contact a therapist first, ask about sliding scale & etc, then call the insurance to ask if it's ok to see the therapist listed in their directory, then call the therapist for an appointmet?

I swear the health/insurance system in the states are completly f*@k'ed. How else would you describe a health system that's the most expensive in the world providing worse care than some 3rd world countries?

Anyway, if anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it.
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't know how this pre certification works, but I'd seek out a shrink cause a psychiatrist can prescribe meds if you need them. Yes, health care in the US really sucks. I have no insurance or health coverage at all and depend on the free clinic and for my meds. rxoutreach has an income scale for free three month supply(s) of meds. It's worth a shot. see if you qualify. But do see about seeing a shrink for your depression. All the best to you.:hug:
  3. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

councellors help, thats what they are there for !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.