Question about attempts

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
If you do something without intent on dying, but not really caring if you end up dying, does that count as an attempt? Or is it more like being passively suicidal? Just wondering because I never had a major attempt, but have done things in the past that may have ended up being very harmful to me.

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Good question... Personally I'm at peace with myself, my philosophy and the fact I'll one day be gone as well. I'm aware of my limits, limitations with regards to when I don't want to continue living - A 3rd psychotic experience or major physical health issues coming into my existence.

I recently became uncle too - I would totally sacrifice myself for my nephew and sister specifically - if the (life threatening) situation requires it.

But I dunno what I'd do in the heat of a moment *help @Witty⭐️Sarcasm🐒

Passively suicidal is a decent way of describing that - There's many factors to include. I'll think a bit more on it, bookmarking thread.

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Oh, as far as the attempt part goes, - I try not to get lost in language like this personally. I feel like this is how debates like "Abortion = Murder?" start and never really seem to end... *hiding There's a couple thousand more nuances and factors to include before even considering to present an argument in that situation, I'd think. *shy

""I did action A or B - therefore it was an attempt - and the word attempt is perceived as something inherently negative and harmful by other people, by society, legally etc."

In a vacuum, so to speak - There's many prerequisites and conditions before it can be seen as an actual attempt - But the value, interpretation and meaning of the word attempt is more like... "Well it depends, and here's why (....)"

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
If you do something without intent on dying but not being overly fussed if you do, then personally I'd see it as more of following a path of destruction (self) regardless of the outcome.
If it was an attempt then I would argue that the intention to end it was there, not as in this case ending it would be a by product and depending on the mind set could be seen as a bonus.

You could also debate at what point do you classify something as an attempt? The act of actually carrying it out but without succeeding or that phase where you set things up but for whatever reason decide to "walk away" at the last the moment.?

Was just wondering on that based on past personal experiences particularly events back in May of this year.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I agree with @Ash600 the intent to not come back would be there for an actual attempt and only the person who took what ever action really knows if it was an attempt or not. There may be a blur between passive and actual for the onlookers, if there is anyone who finds out what you have done.
The thought of making an ‘attempt’ is very triggering for me, in that I wish I could as long as no one that I love find out. Not really possible I know.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I guess most of the time, I couldn't care less what happens to me. Need to get myself out of that mindset somehow.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I would see it as what action. If an uncoordinated goof like me took up juggling wide open chainsaws or such I would view it differently from anything that may but not always or generally thought of as being dangerous beyond a reasonable bit. Juggle machetes I would consider me as courting bad things while driving to the local gas station as just going about life and not playing poker with the Grim Reaper and Darwin.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00