Question about being bi-polar

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by bb564, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bb564

bb564 Guest

Does this ever go away? Anyway of dealing with this?

I don't think I can live like this much longer.

2. diver200

diver200 Senior Member

I am BP as well. My understanding is that it is a lifetime disorder. I'm not a doctor though. Talk with whoever it was that diagnosed you. They may be able to help you understand this dreadful problem. Good luck.

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

what are you going through symptom wise?

I'm so-so good with managing things, but when i'm cycling fast it's like being in a nightmare and sometimes i'm not even falling into a depression i'm manic-going down to normal and sleeping not well and generally racing around for weeks..

if this helps- the less stimuli the better. dark room, no music. forcing myself to lie down and close my eyes (if i'm not dealing with images, thoughts,)

i don't know there's so much i go through, and have gone through.

what's bothering you specifically? bipolar is a huge diagnosis and peoples' symptoms vary.

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i believe you can manage your symptoms, the time spent tracking your moods and habits will pay off down the road. for me, i have to do certain things, every day, no matter my mood, in order to be stable: 8 hours sleep, walking, taking meds, some human contact (talking to a friend, or getting outside to a cafe or something), no alcohol or only in moderation. if i shortcut on any of these things then i start to spin out.

what specifically is most challenging to you about being bipolar? my hardest times are when i'm bugging out - sort of manic but agitated and very suicidal. the best i could describe it is there is a blizzard in my head and i'm ready to jump out of my skin. it's just the worst feeling in the world.

when i'm in this stage i reach out for all the help i can get - extra therapy appts, seeing the nurse, using the suicide hotline. i know if it happens again i will ask to be admitted, for my own wellbeing.

5. bb564

bb564 Guest

I have phases of being very happy, followed by much longer phases of complete depression and despondency. I don't sleep, I overeat, I'm rude to people, I act like a total retard basically.

These days, the good phases are getting shorter, and when I'm happy, I always have this slight feeling that it won't last. But when I'm having these good phases, I've heard from other people that I'm very good to be around.

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Take a look for the Depression Workbook by Mary Ellen Copeland. She is also bipolar, and she helps you able to recognize and monitor your moods. With a little work you can start to recognize and moderate the swings. You don't have to go quite so high, or quite so low with a little prevention.

Are you getting any medical supports, like from a doctor or therapist? They can help you both with talk therapy, learning new skills, and medication if needed. I know I wouldnt' have made it this far without some help. I was just in way over my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.