Question about British education system

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Huck Finn, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Huck Finn

Huck Finn A lost cause

Hello guys.
    I have couple of questions I'd like to discuss with someone familiar with the education system in the UK.
    After a good six wasted years I've finally decided to do something with my life, and actually feeling excited and anxious at the same time.
    So I did a bit of a research, but it was all so complicated, I couldn't understand a thing, it's way different than how it works in my country.
    I want to get a degree in psychology, but I have no idea where to start. I've checked couple of universities, and everything I found was their programs, requirements etc. I don't know if I meet the requirements as we don't have any equivalent of the GCSE. Then I tried looking about how do I get these levels, and it's gotten even worse, I've read so many opinions on the matter that I don't know what to think.
    Please, I need some help with all this, perfectly looking for 2 different points of view, the one of someone who's actually British and one from someone who came to the country at adult age, and went through the whole process. Just please, try to simplify it so I can actually get it lol.
    Any help is appreciated.
  2. Lulabelle

Lulabelle SF Supporter

Huck Finn likes this.
  3. Huck Finn

Huck Finn A lost cause

Wow, I am quite discouraged already... after I did some further research, I've come to the conclusion that in order to fit the criteria of any university, I have to spend more than I earn for the entire year. Getting the A levels going to cost over 6000£, I also realized, that I have to take some kind of certificate that proves my English skill level which also costs quite a bit. This plus some extra money (because there's always something else to pay for) it makes it close to impossible for me at this point... I hope, I got the information wrong, but I doubt it. The only option I see is to self study, and pay for the exams only (and I am not really sure if that's even possible).
  4. Imy

Imy Well-Known Member

GCSE's are what you typically complete by the age of 16 when you leave secondary school. You then go onto college to do A levels/BTEC which is kind of the bridge between school and university. Then you go on to do your degree. If there are any particular universities your interested in, perhaps try call them up. Maybe theres a careers advisor who could point you in the right direction. It might be that you have to take an acess course beforehand which dont have any requirements but people use them, typically once theyre an adult and know what they want to do, to gain them access to university. Hope thats made sense :)
    Huck Finn likes this.
  5. Imy

Imy Well-Known Member

And an access course wont cost as much as A levels. I think they're typically designed for people who's previous experience of education didnt quite go to plan and so dont have the required A levels. You might even qualify for financial assistance. I'd call them up if I were you :)
    Huck Finn likes this.
  6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN SF Author

You qualify as a mature student which means that your qualifications are unimportant, for the most part. If you apply as a mature student you may be required by the university to pass some kind of assessment to measure your capacity to undertake the work or do a foundation course (normally a year), but you do not require A Levels. If you are concerned about your ability to go back into education at this point, an access course might be good to start with anyway, as mentioned by Imy, but your best bet would be to contact the university or universities you are interested in attending and speak to the admissions department about applying as a mature student. The stuff you are reading that is meant for students finishing school to go straight into uni is not applicable to you anymore :)

Edit: Access course info:

Also, if you did need to take a foundation degree these normally range between £500 at the lower and £1200 at the higher end so that is significantly more reasonable than the £6k you discuss for A Levels
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Huck Finn likes this.
  7. Huck Finn

Huck Finn A lost cause

Looking much better, and affordable. Definitely giving this a try. I am confident of my learning abilities (well, kind of...), the time is what bothering me, but I'll find a way to make it work.
    Thank you guys for the valuable information, I knew I could count on you.
    Imy and Lulabelle like this.
  8. Imy

Imy Well-Known Member

No problem! Best of luck :)