Question about depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by theshark1019, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshark1019

theshark1019 Member

This sucks. Its 11:00 A.M. been awake since 8:00 A.M. and haven't moved from bed. Hate this crap. Can't get motivated for anything. Enough of that venting though. What do you do when you know you're suffering from depression but can't be diagnosed because: 1. You don't have money and aren't sure about whether or not you're insured. And 2. You don't want to worry family or friends? Some background information. In my 20s. Bullied in high school slightly. No real relationship with a girl yet. Over the last 6 months I've become very reserved and to myself. (was never real out going to begin with though.) Can't get motivated to do things I once enjoyed and any time I do, I lose interest in finishing what I start. Lost my job about a month ago, not sure how, just happened. Every day thoughts of death and whats on the other side pop into my head. Probably think about that at least half a day on really bad days. Know how I would kill myself if I really wanted to. And finally, I can't cry even though I'd like to sometimes.

2. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

It's like your describing what I felt like a year ago. Always scares me when I see such accuracy :(
    Motivation is a real pain because it is a vicious cycle. Depressive feelings lead to lack of motivation and lack of motivation leads to more depression, in it's simplicity.
    One thing that does help but isn't all that practical is to get some exercise as it releases endorphines which help to give you a sense of welfare and can keep you interested and your mind working. Only how do you get the motivation to do exercise in the first place? What happens if it doesn't make you feel any better and you give up and feel worse?

The one thing I seem to have found is that a plan can be a real help. Just having something to work towards even if the steps arn't all that clear can do wonders. And after the big plan you can put lots of little small plans in, like a day plan. Maybe tomorrow after you get out of bed you should make something a bit crazy for your dinner/lunch. Be a bit inventive or just chuck some stuff in and see what happens like I do :laugh: . It isn't something that requires a massive amount of motivation. Pasta is always a good one because if you lose interest half way through you can normally eat what you have made. It can give you a sense you have learnt something or achieved something that day even if feels like a small thing.
    Eventually you will have to force yourself to get out and do things I guess. I force myself out of bed every morning at 7:10am. Remember that depression is a very demanding thing and can take it all out of us. It takes a lot of time and work and usually tears to get out of the cycle.
    It is advisable to go and see a doctor about it but as you said the money issue is a bit of a pain. I guess thinking about telling people who can help is a priority. Do not worry about worrying them. It is far better for them to be concerned now than to be concerned later after you have gone further downhill, believe me.

The best weapon you can have by far (IMO) to combat depression though, is to keep asking and reading and learning about it. The more you understand about it the better you can fight it when you need to. Make use of the internet, especially this site to ask about ways in which you can feel better for short terms and long terms. Things such as people's idea of therapy such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and what methods are used and why they work or don't work.
    We all have our own path to getting better and in ultimatum we have to get better ourselves, but there is help from every angle along the way if you know where to look or how to use it. You are not alone.

3. aramaki

aramaki Active Member

I relate to this vicious cycle thing - I have lost interest in doing the things that once (just a few months ago) made me happy - like photography, or visiting art galleries. Now I would rather lie in bed trying to forget my situation and thinking nothing but negative thoughts.

I also cant cry - which I think is strange. I would have thought a depressed person would be crying a lot.

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I don't cry either.

5. Harrowdown

Harrowdown Well-Known Member

i hear that

i can't
    like CAN'T....literally can't seem to do it, not for years

6. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't cry either.
    I feel the lump high up my throat, I feel like sobbing and nothing happens.
    Great post by h2osmack, a lot of good stuff there.

7. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

8. SoulRiser

SoulRiser Well-Known Member

Will being diagnosed really solve anything? I mean, you could possibly figure out the root causes of your depression yourself, and then take steps to solve it on your own. You don't need a therapist to help you, though it can make it easier if you get a good one.

Did anything else notable happen around that time? Even something seemingly unimportant?

9. blank_page

blank_page Member

i can relate to all that, I just couldnt get out of my bed this morning, couldnt move, felt numb. Its a vicious cycle. Once I'm down I cant seem to get out of it. Some good advice there h2osmack, I will take it on board :)

10. ish_me153

ish_me153 Well-Known Member

omg i know how u feel...even though i'm 6 years younger then you, i used to feel that way alot at the start of the year. idk what i did to get out of it, but i think it helped that i found a boyfriend who knows what i'm going through and wants to help as much as he possibly can.

and i don't cry much either...even when my best friend was institutionalized 4 weeks ago i didn't cry, just felt numb inside. idk how i got through that day, or that week for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.