Question about headaches?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by AfraidofMyself, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have pretty much abandoned other forums I went to and I think this might be the appropriate place to ask such things.

I suffer from migraines fairly regularly. They usually get to the point that I vomit and such. Light hurts, sound hurts, breathing hurts, and everything is so hot and nasty feeling. It's a horrible experience.
    But I only have headaches on one side of my head--front left--always front left. It's never "all over" or in the back (or even on the right side at all).
    I can recall having headaches when I was in kindergarten. My mother would give me chewable children's aspirin that were pink and I'd go to sleep--wake up in the morning and it'd be gone. The first migraine I had (to where I vomited) was around 5th grade. To my recollection, all of these headaches were in the same area as they are now.

(Additional crap: Headaches are usually caused by stress but I remember that 6th, 7th, and 8th grade I took ibeprofin almost daily. I would come home from school with a headache almost every day and would have to take one. I don't feel that I was under great amounts of stress of anything. These headaches were also located in the front left.)

My real question is:
    Is this normal?

For every headache one has to be located in the same exact area of the brain just sounds weird to me?
    Should I talk with a doctor about this?
    Is this a sign of anything else that I should check into?

Just curious :tongue:
    Not worried or anything.
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hey there, I'd certainly advise you to get checked out by a doctor. It may be migraines but you get them very often and that's not healthy. I'm not a doctor so I can't say it's nothing serious but at the same time it may not be. Please see a doctor, they will be able to help you.
  3. sadsong

sadsong Staff Alumni

It's probably best to see a doctor, even if they can only give you something to help you through the pain. It might well be nothing, but best to get it checked out.
  4. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Can't hurt to mention it to your doctor, but then if you've been suffering from such severe migranes fr so many years then you probably already have.

It's quite common to have pain in the same place with every migrane, so that isn't in itself a worry.

Have you got some decent migrane blockers from your doctor? Zolmitriptan works well for me (you need a prescription). If you take medication such as that but your migranes don't subside, then that would be more of a cause for concern.

If you're worried, just ask your doc. It can't hurt, I guess :smile:.
  5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

If its to do with your head, see the doctor pronto. There is no point in debating it. Your head can be very fragile and is prone to lots of things. Not to say it is of course, dont want to scare you. But reactions to light can be a real pain. I cant stand even faint lights sometimes. Do you get a lot of nosebleeds?
  6. Lately, I've been dizzy and sensative to light. I'd like to know if those are signs leading up to headaches, which I've only had some minor headaches in my life.
  7. Urgle

Urgle Guest

I too would advise the doctors, because they can prescribe excellent migraine medicine.

Migraines are focused on one side of your head, so it might be that side had a weakness or something.

Taking pain meds on a regular basis can cause headaches, which might be why you were suffering so badly at the ages you mentioned, it might have been related to the pain meds and what could be withdrawal from them.

It might be worth keeping a diary of food, weather, stress and your symptoms and see if there is a connection. Migraines run in my family and cutting out things like chocolate and cheese and other foods can help keep them milder and also stop them all together. Also sometimes a shoulder and neck massage can help relax the tension.

Good luck, migraines really suck.
  8. I am wondering why threads 3 months old are being revived? Especially when the post has no correlation to the OP.
  9. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

10. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Definetly see a doc on this one..sounds very much like the migraines I had thru late childhood and early adolescence. They thought I had a brain tumour at one point, but turned out that my headaches were triggered by the same things that cause epileptic fits.
    One good thing..I more or less outgrew them, tho still can't stand flashing lights.
  11. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Get a mchanical pencil & trace the pain . This gives me relief when drugs dont work. I think headaches are like itchy spots that needs to be scratch. I have so many of them & this is all I do as no drugs can ease them. Semi self accupuncture . No one ca do this for you but you .Pain is subjective. You are the only who know where the pain is ,no one can find it for you but you.Please do not take to replace medx txment. This is a piece of thought for today.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.