question about leases and money

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by tottenhamhotspur, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tottenhamhotspur

tottenhamhotspur Active Member

I was wondering- If something does happen to someone and they are on a 12 month lease rental with prepaid cheques, will their relative have to pay or is there some type of legal protection if they die in the middle of a lease?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If they've got an estate it'll come out of there. If not, and lacking a cosigner, the lease effectively ends and the landlord is looking for a tenant.

That might vary by jurisdiction... Some jurisdictions require the landlord to try to fill the vacancy and thus terminate the lease, so the estate might not even have to pay.

3. tottenhamhotspur

thanks
    I just don't want to leave my parents on the hook should anything happen

4. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

aoeu is right because I've looked into it. But don't worry about something like that, do what you need to do to get better first:cool:, a lease should be low on your priorities, I've had the same thoughts too, you're not alone with those and other thoughts.:console:

5. tottenhamhotspur

unfourtunatly, the lease and my leaving this world are part of a chicken and egg scenerio. I am getting fired tommorow and am going to be in some serious money problems. I at least would like the peace of mind that my parents won't owe like 4500 dollars for a place their son died at.

6. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

As far as I am aware up to the date of someone death the "estate" as it is known is responsible for the payments of any outstanding debts up to the date of death.

The Estate of the deceased goes into what is known as "probate" this is were the appointee exor rights to all possible creditors requesting to know what is due up to the date of the deceased death.

If there is not enough money in the "estate" then the Exor writes to each company/creditor explaining this-this then gets written of and does NOT get passed to the next of kin.

If it does not go to "probate" then the bank rights to the next of kin emplaning that there is no money in the "estate" this is sufficient evidence to send to the creditor and is not the responsibility of the next of kin.

To be honest dude, money worries are a massive thing, I understand your concern if you are in the UK then I recommend contacting your local CAB they will be able to negotiate repayments for any debts there is a way out without taking your life, so please think about it, =)

7. tottenhamhotspur

If it were just money, I wouldn't be concerned.
    I just got fired today, so its a matter of paying what I am required now, forgets about my 2000+ dollar debt.
    Even if I ever do break even again, its only a matter of time. I have never been able to save money, and likely never will.
    my bad credit will single handly keep me from ever allowing myself to date, let alone everything else is my life.
    I never thought when I was 25 I'd be one of those guys people who look at and say 'just be glad- some people have it worse than you' and think of people like me.
    Simply pathetic, considering that its all my own work.
    I could have done well in school, but I never worked hard.
    Could have been done university and had a good job.
    Worked enough through high school to be comfortable now.
    But what do I have to show for it?
    Nothing. I own a laptop and a some clothes. Other than that. Nothingl.

8. Perfect Melancholy

My dad (RIP) had this great expression, they cant take of you what you dont have, he was chased by the tax man until his death for an amount he never owed.

You say you will never date again, why? Girls at least the one's that are worth knowing don't care about that they look at the soul inside trust me on this I don't know much but I know this.

I mean is there anyway you could be pro-active to help your situation?

Please hang in there, because I am trying to and I need others too as well (yes that is selfish)

9. tottenhamhotspur

I would feel guilty bringing a woman into a relationship where I could never get a loan or pay for anything. Particualrly right now when I have no money, job or education.
    For some, they want to look 'beyond' but these are the same women, good natured and often not stupid or ugly, either, but mislead into beleiving that the rational doesn't matter who date guys in prison or with an assortment of anger and crazy problems.
    I haven't been good with money. EVER.
    I have never had more than 1200 dollars in my life, with the exception of the four grand I got from my grandpa and went through in rent and various expenses over a SIX MONTH PERIOD. If I were him I'd be rolling my in damn grave. I am so ashamed of myself.

10. jabooty

jabooty Banned Member

hey man shit like this happens...sorry to hear about your job loss. I thought you may have been parnoid about it, but it looks like it happened. So what next?? ill tell you what...

You pick yourself back up...credit money and even girls come and go. Your the one who endures and keeps trucking on.... Take it from me, who is is on the verge of having his house that I have lived and bleed for over the last 10 years go into foreclosure. Whats important is you. If your landlord cant understand the situation then up theres.

So how bout unemployment compensation?? Not sure where your from but if from England from what I understand thay have it there, if from the states we def have it and just as long as you didnt tell your boss to go suck an egg, you should qualify.

Hey anymore all you really need in this life is a computer and cloths...money is always spent!

11. tottenhamhotspur

It just drives me crazy.
    There is one woman in particular I am interested in. Right now she's overseas and we often chat for an hour everyday, exchange nice emails and music and things of such sort. I have know her for about 4 years now. The moment I saw her, even though it was because she was a friend of a friend's (all of whom would later become fairly good friends) girlfriend, I knew right away she was something very special and I felt bad for liking her when she was dating my friend. In the long run, they had religious differences and had to spilt up , but remained good friends- yet another great part of her character, maturity.
    It just drives me crazy that I feel so inadequate. My parents worked in factories, and her parents work at a university and as an enginner respectivly. She's graduated from uni, I haven't even went. She's good with money. I'm horrible.
    It's just like- you finally really like somebody and you just know better than that it will ever work.

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Another thought is that perhaps losing this job can lead to finding a better one. I suspect there will be social services available to keep you off the streets for at least a month or two.

And, character is far more important than occupation for value as a person.

13. Perfect Melancholy

Completely agreed with you there, a job does not define the character, it is what is inside the heart and the soul that is more important

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.