Question about long term suicidal thoughts

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ksmith86, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksmith86

ksmith86 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new to this, I've only been feeling this way for a couple of months now. Basically I had an event happen that's put me in a pretty bad situation that I think would cause anybody to consider killing themselves.

The problem is that no matter how much my situation improves (and it has somewhat), I still think about doing it every day. I can't help but feel like... it's still the "right" thing to do. Like it's supposed to happen or something. I feel like if I had a way to do it laying on my nightstand, I'd feel better knowing that it was in reach at any time. I'm a little worried that even IF my situation pans out and all this shit goes away that I'll STILL feel like this, even when I've got my freedom and this whole mess is behind me.

I guess my question is is this typical? Do suicidal feelings ever go away? Did your thoughts start with a traumatic event, and are still lingering to this day long after the situation has resolved itself?

It'd be interesting if people were typically stuck like this. It could mean that we're all hard-wired for suicidal tendencies (for herd benefit or something) and once that switch is activated it can't be turned off easily.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It can go away and will go away with therapy with support hun The thoughts are just that thoughts hun and somehow that thought brings us comfort because we know we have some kind of control then. Get help from a therapist ok a councillor and get therapy to help your mind shut down that thought it can happen hugs

3. ksmith86

ksmith86 Well-Known Member

I really could use a therapist, just don't have the money. You can't talk to normal people about this stuff, it just scares them and they don't want to talk about it. Even the one's who are supposed to care the most for you... don't seem to want to hear it. Thanks for the hugs eclipse :)

How's your day going?

4. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

I can't be certain because my situation is very different from yours but I suspect that, once your situation is resolved, you'll start to feel better. If I'm reading things right, you're feeling trapped and this feels like your way out of your current problem. Once the problem is gone, you'll no longer need an escape. Does that make sense?

I hope I'm right anyway. I hope that, soon, things improve for you and you get a chance to be happy. Good luck and Take care.

5. alyssaswoon

alyssaswoon Well-Known Member

My suicidal thoughts usually only take a break every couple weeks or so, they've never gone away. Though, everyone is different. Therapy and medication are the option I choose to take because I cannot get rid of the thoughts on my own, and they don't change with the quality of my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.