Question about meds.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by johnsmythe, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

Ok so I've only tried being on one type of med before. It was some antidepresent that I can't remember the name of. Anyways the name doesnt matter.

When I was on said meds I seem to recall feeling worse than I usually did. Need less to say that made me stop taking them.

Now, my question is this: Is it worth it to try again? I've read that anti-depressents have been known to make symptoms worse in a certain number of patients and I'm wondering if I'm one of that group...I'm also wondering if it's worth the risk to try a different brand (aren't they all chemically basically the same anyways?) What if it makes me extremely worse and I do something stupid?

Any advice is appreciated...

2. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

No, meds aren't all chemically the same. I've tried Paxil and Prozac, and am now on Effexor (which took over 2 months to kick in).

And also, yes, they can make you more depressed in the beginning, before things start getting better. Effexor did that to me big time, twice. Glad I didn't do anything crazy during those times.

It'd be safer if you have someone you talk to about your feelings on a regular basis who can monitor if you get worse and call the doctor about it.

3. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input.

4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I agree, but they are well worth it. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.