Question about Mental Hospitals

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Akita, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

I've been suicidal my whole life, but lately it's gotten to its worst point again. I'm 16 and my mother has been making things much MUCH worse. Right now she's really violent and almost pushing me to end it. The main reason it's coming back is because of court/school, though there are plenty of other reasons to add to that... I'd rather not discuss them. I've missed almost 100 days because of illness and depression, and I really can't take all of the court things anymore. I'm pretty much doomed at this point...

My mother lies all of the time... So if any of this is incorrect could you please tell me?

She said that if I tell anyone (Doctor/Psychiatrist/Human Service Worker/etc.) that I've been suicidal that I won't go to a mental hospital but rather I'll be sent away.
    She said that if I tell the judge in court that I'm extremely suicidal he'll say that he doesn't care and send me to a juvenile home of some sort.
    She said that if I do go to a mental hospital on my own and tell them that I'm suicidal that they will refuse to let me in.
    She said that if I do get into one that they'll never let me out. She also said that it doesn't matter if I am in one and I am extremely suicidal, the judge can still take me out of it and send me to some juvenile home with all of the criminals.
    There was something else, but she got really violent at this point and auto save didn't save it...

I think she doesn't want me to go to one because I call tell them all of the things she has ever done to me and she'll go to jail as a result. She's causing me to lose my sanity right now so I'm gonna end it here.

2. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

he said that if I tell the judge in court that I'm extremely suicidal he'll say that he doesn't care and send me to a juvenile home of some sort.
    She said that if I do go to a mental hospital on my own and tell them that I'm suicidal that they will refuse to let me in.
    She said that if I do get into one that they'll never let me out. She also said that it doesn't matter if I am in one and I am extremely suicidal, the judge can still take me out of it and send me to some juvenile home with all of the criminals.

Be honest with you prob go to a psych ward and get a councillor assigned to you.Most countries health systems courts take mental illness very serious now days and best to seek this help if you are very suicidal.Sounds like you need a break away from your mum for a while and sounds like she should seek some help herself.Please do something for yourself and take good care.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

What your mother has been telling you is a lie. Don't listen to her lies hun. If you tell a doctor they will try and help you through your problems. They might not necessarily send you to a psych ward but they can monitor your progress and see what care you do need. You won't be sent to any juvenile homes or prison or anything like that. You have to do what is right for you, not your mother. I hope you can get the courage to tell a doctor because you really deserve to get some help and get better. :hug:

4. DarknessSurroundsMe

DarknessSurroundsMe Well-Known Member

As they have said what your mother told you is a lie I myself am suicidal and have been in psych ward's they will not refuse you if you think thats what you need. I sincerely hope you get better hun.

5. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

I thank you all very much. Tomorrow isn't looking so good with court but... Apologies for being a burden to all of you. Take care everyone.

6. three44

three44 Member

I am not sure what will happen, but I can tell you this. When I was your age my mother did the same sort of things to me, lots of lies. I was suicidal and she often made it worst. You need to get help and get out of that place. Any friends or any teachers at your school that you think you might be able to talk to, and trust, you should. They will help you get to a safe place (which is what I should have done when I was your age) , and try to express to them what you need to feel better. What do you think would make you feel better?

7. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

I hope the court thing worked out for you. As to what you mother told you:

"She said that if I tell anyone (Doctor/Psychiatrist/Human Service Worker/etc.) that I've been suicidal that I won't go to a mental hospital but rather I'll be sent away." If you are suicidal you would be sent to a mental hospital or a psych ward in a general hospital.

"She said that if I tell the judge in court that I'm extremely suicidal he'll say that he doesn't care and send me to a juvenile home of some sort." Whether or not you will be sent to a juvenile home depends on what you did. They would treat the suicidal thoughts before they sent you anywhere else.

"She said that if I do go to a mental hospital on my own and tell them that I'm suicidal that they will refuse to let me in." Pretty much just about the only reason they will let you in is if you are a danger to yourself or others. If you are suicidal you would be let in.

"She said that if I do get into one that they'll never let me out." Stays in psych wards and hospitals are fairly brief.... days to weeks. There aren't enough beds available to keep people in long-term. I have been in anywhere from two days to 30 days. Insurance wants you out the minute you are not longer suicidal. That's the way it is for all treatment centers.

"She also said that it doesn't matter if I am in one and I am extremely suicidal, the judge can still take me out of it and send me to some juvenile home with all of the criminals." Again, your suicidal thoughts and feelings would be treated first, juvenile home would come later, if at all.

I hope you are doing okay.

8. Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache Active Member

Akita, how are you holding up?

Out of interest, where in the world are you? If you are old enough by your country's standards to be admitted to an adult psychiatric unit, then it sounds like you need admission. I'm not sure where you live or how to access that - if you don't have previous contact with mental health services, then either getting to your GP or to your Emergency Department sounds like a good idea. I know it can feel very weird, walking into an emergency department without a physical health problem, but that really is a great way to get into the service and get assessed as soon as possible.

I don't know whether you've done anything wrong - if you have criminal convictions, then you may end up in a juvenile centre, but the treatment of your mental health comes first and I would expect you to be spending time on a psych ward rather than a corrective facility. I'm on police bail, but I'm inpatient on a psych ward because that's the best place for me.

I know it's really hard to go against what your mother is saying, but her advice just isn't true. If the family situation is making it difficult to access your care, then I know that can be really tricky - I'm not much use, but you're always welcome to PM me. If you don't get a reply straight away, it's because I'm in hospital and struggling to get much time on the communal computer on the ward.

:hugtackles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.