Question about mood and energy...

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by foreveryoung, Oct 12, 2015.

1. foreveryoung

foreveryoung Member

I constantly feel lethargic/tired and have done for a long time now but I can't remember when this started. I was around 16/17 when I first started feeling depressed (I'm 23 now) and it seems like I've been this way forever. I used to play a lot of sport and I was always active as a kid but I'm a different person now. Anyway, I thought maybe it was diet/fitness related so earlier this year I decided to change my lifestyle. I quit smoking, bought myself a bike, went on long walks every day, removed all junk/processed foods from my diet and made all my meals from scratch. I thought it would help me mentally as well but I felt no different in any way at all, and after 4 months I went back to my old ways of eating whatever crap I want. I then went to my GP for a blood test to rule out anemia or whatever else and the results came back fine. I'd say my mood is generally low, but now and then I get really depressed, were I find it really, really difficult to be around people or do anything at all - That's how I've been feeling the past few days and just typing seems like a massive drag. Is there anyone who used to be like this who managed to find a "cure"? What about anti-depressants, do you think they'll make a difference?? I've never actually spoken to my GP (or anyone else I know) about my moods, feelings, ect but I'll do anything now to feel alive and not feel like a zombie for the rest of my life :confused:
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, foreveryoung. I'm sorry you're feeling low and dragged out. (hug)

"Anemia" can be tricky. A person's complete blood count can be fine - but if their iron storage is off, they feel anemic. Iron storage count is your "ferritin level." You might as your GPs if s/he did a ferritin level count as well as the usual blood counts. (I've had low ferritin, and now doc regularly checks my ferritin level.)

A complete your check up with GP is a good idea anyway. All kinds of minor things can make us lethargic and "moody." But I would tell your GP about the moods. S/he cannot make an informed diagnosis and treatment plan without all the info.

Some people find antidepressants very helpful. Different ones work for different people. The only way to find out is if the doctor suggests and prescribes them, and you give them a try. Since an ongoing low mood can cause changes in brain chemistry, the antidepressants might take the edge off the low mood and lethargy.

Eating crap - oooh, I'm guilty of that sometimes. :D Healthy food and lifestyle actually help me a lot. :) Lots of people find exercise lifts their mood and they even begin to "want to do it." :)

Sounds like things are blah for you now, so there's really nothing to lose by trying some new things, right? So maybe the above are some things to consider. I hope you feel better soon! (hug)