Question about suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GreenChick, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenChick

GreenChick Active Member

I may have diabetes. My aunt had it she lost her leg and died at 50. I am not good with restricting eating, I love sweets and stuff, I know that if I get diabetes I will not be able to manage it and will die a horrible death.

So I find out in a few days if I have it.

If I do have it, I think I will decide to commit suicide.

My question is this - is it better for friends and family not to know its coming? Like I shouldn't talk about what I'm planning to do or drop any hints so they won't know? Or should I try to prepare them?

Should I give or will my posessions away to friends, will they like to have them or will that make it harder in the long run?

How can I make it easy on the people who care about me, cushion the blow as much as possible? Make them realize that its not their fault or anything, because I wouldn't want any one to think that.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

This won't be what you want to hear. But nothing will cushion the blow. Whether they know about it or not, they would still hurt if it happened, still carry around the guilt and the pain of losing you.

I hope you don't have diabetes. But if you do, you can learn to manage it. It's not easy for anyone; nobody thinks it's something they can handle until it happens. But it's manageable, and it's worth a try.
  3. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

death vs. sweets? :)
    might want to re-evaluate that one
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Greenchick,
    My doctor told me I was 16 lbs. from becoming diabetic.. He told me I needed to eat right and loose alot of this eccess weight..I statred eating just meat, salads, vegs., and fruit.. I eat fruit when I have an urge to eat sweets. Sure I cheat everynow and then and eat a candy bar..I have lost 16 lbs. so far..
    Putting yourself on a strict diet and eat fruit instead of sweets will have alot to do with you becoming diabetic..Talk to your doctor about what diet he wants you to follow.. You can use mine as an example if you wish...Take care!!
  5. Starlite

Starlite Senior Member

<mod edit-quoting deleted post>

We all have things in our lives that happen to us that are out of our control. Diabetes is manageable. You can have things that don't have sugar added and they make tons of things out there with no sugar that tastes like the real thing.

I so hope your test comes back negative, but if not, there are ways to cope with it and manage it very well. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.

Nothing will soften the blow of losing you for your friends and family. Nothing! Loss is a tragic thing when it comes to losing someone you care about.

Please reconsider your thinking and if you need someone to talk to , I am always a pm away!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
  6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I hope you don't have diabetes. But if you do, giving up sweets is "doable." (And talk to your doc, maybe small treats are still allowed once in a while.)

If it came down to no sweets or life for me...well, yeah, I'd be disappointed, but as much as I love sweets, they're a small thing in the context of my whole life and, I wouldn't commit suicide over giving up sweets.

Hoping the best for you! :hug:
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

There are loads of lovely diabetic sweets and chocolates around.

Try not to over catastrophise the outcomes. Just take each day as it comes. If you get a result you don't want, don't panic because there are different types of diabetes, controlled in different ways.

But yes, my nan is diabetic and is always eating diabetic sweets and chocolates, and they don't taste any different from sugared stuff.
  8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have several family members and close friends as well as a few students that are diabetic. Although it does mean a change in lifestyle and habits, after you get used to the changes they become the norm for you and you hardly notice any more. Living with this disease is very doable. I hope your tests results come back that you are free from being diabetic, but even if they do you may want to make some slight changes now to help stave it off in the future.
  9. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

There must be something else bothering. Are you close to your family? Talk to me, PM.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.