question about telling a doctor

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by azjanet, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azjanet

azjanet New Member

Hello all, I hope someone can answer this question for me. I'm wondering if I tell my regular GP or a counselor that I'm depressed to the point where suicide seems like a viable option, what will happen? I mean are they obligated to turn me into the police or mental health center? I want to know what to expect instead of suddenly being surprised by men in white coats knocking at my door.

Thanks in advance, Janet

2. Matt93

Matt93 Well-Known Member

I would suggest just going to see them, you do get ones who seem to not care, whatsoever, but you'll find most will understand, maybe refer you therapy and so on. It's best to let it out, than to stay hidden in darkness. Coping becomes much easier knowing you've confidence to talk to people.

3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

What would happen depends on several factors.
    1. Do you have a plan
    2. Do you have the means
    3. Are there people around you (social isolation vs support network)
    4. depth of depression
    Rather the more seriously you approach suicide the more likely you may be sent for evaluation. Just saying you are suicidal normally will not result in being sent to be evaluated for an involuntary stay in a hospital.

I hope you will tell someone how you are feeling. You would probably be sent to some form of counseling, but not involuntarily sent to a hospital. Please keep posting for support.

4. lackingfight

lackingfight New Member

i would say it depends on your doctor,do you know them well? if so,theyre more likely to be more understanding,try to help than one you dont know....that was my experience when i told my doc anyway,altho the nhs being what it is,i didnt bother going to see the psych she tried to arranged for me[messed me about to much,not what i need right now lol] i dont know what country your in,but i think no doctor would ever discuss your case to the police,the hypocratic oath they take forbids it,like catholic priests....hope you get something sorted,take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.