Question about tolerance

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by LynnD, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnD

LynnD Well-Known Member

I don't abuse drugs; however, I used to take Ativan often to help me sleep and deal with some anxiety. I took it often, once a week, sometimes three times when I could not sleep at all (I have cystitis that flares up sometimes, and there is no antibiotics for that unfortunately). Anyway, the last time I took it was Christmas Eve so I could sleep since I would be visiting family the next day and I did not want to bee too tired. I have not taken any since, and the next time I will take it will be January 31st since I have an appointment that day. I am waiting to take it then since I want my tolerance to go down a bit since I have been finding the drug to not be effective. Because it will be 39 days without taking it, will my tolerance go down enough for it to work? I know that it takes a while for your tolerance to go down, but will my tolerance decrease and not be as high so it will work if I wait until January 31st to take it?

I hope my question is clear.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi LynnD.. have you spoken to your MD about the effects of the medication and if there are others that could be effective when taken PRN? Maybe s/he can make other recommendations

3. LynnD

LynnD Well-Known Member

No, and they don't usually know what to recommend, I have to tell them unfortunately.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hiyas :) I take xanax three times a day since september 2011, I have a huge tolerance and actually don't know if they are working or just taking away withdrawal because I'm on other anxiety meds aswell (seroquel and lyrica). But speaking from experience I think by Jan 31st that it will have an effect. Your tolerance will lower in a few weeks, I know this because I switched from xanax to valium(low dose) for a while to lower my tolerance and used it as PRN. And after a few weeks I started taking the xanax again and it had a greater effect :)

5. LynnD

LynnD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You're welcome. Good luck :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.