question for creative people

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by corang, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I used to be able to write amazing poetry now its decent at best and I can rarely write it. Does anyone else lose their creativeness when theyre happy? I used to just get the urge to write and Id drop what I was doing grab a pen and paper and I could write long extremely deep poems. So what about all of you?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

i really don't write poetry...just tried it a couple of times and I'm sure you'll get some feedback, but the best poets I find, usually wrote when in states of extreme sorrow and about lost love! just an observation...because I love to read it and that's what I notice and have read in bio's of some of the great poets.
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Your emotions will always have alot of influence on a person's art- I think.
    When I'm happy, I tend to do less artistic stuff and more work, I guess... I'm not sure how it is for anyone else.
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

for poems I have to be in deep sorrow and pain to write them..I dont write poems when I'm happy...dont know why its like that...but I'm an author and I write stories wether I'm in a good mood or not...
  5. isd

isd Well-Known Member

i would take happiness over creativity. but of course if creativity gets you through bad periods then do it
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I actually have a weird theory about it. I think truly unique and creative art comes from a certain level of suffering. The current band I play with, I often look at the music as a musical manifestation of my extreme anxiety. A lot of our songs feel like a panic attack, as strange as that sounds.

But, when I get too depressed... I lose all creativity. Like right now, I haven't written a song in like 6 months or longer. I've never gone that long without writing since I started when I was like 14. I just can't get the motivation to create anything, or think creatively about what to do.

So anyway, even if you don't feel like it, try to write whenever you can... and if nothing comes to you... nothing comes to you. That's ok :hug:
  7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I agree with from that show, never stop be creative, wether its writing, drawing, taking pictures...

sometimes even though I can't seem to write, I'll write random phrases...or I'll read someone's story and edit it for them....that gets me in the flow....or I think about a theme and just put on paper what comes to mind without having it make sense....
  8. pither

pither Well-Known Member

I'd say as far as sketching and painting and that sort of thing I have to be feeling pretty shit-tastic to do anything worthwhile.

Depends for writing- the novels I work on I could be in any mood just so long as I'm inspired. Poetry on the other hand has to be done when I REALLY feel something, more than likely it's anger or pain or sadness.

So I'd say it depends- I normally concentrate better on creative things when I'm depressed or angry. That's what I've found anyways.
  9. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, you all seem to say what ive noticed with myself I could write but amazing things only seem to come from my pain or depression.
  10. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

strong emotions tend to make for easy poetry. I often do you hear poetry about how someone's day was ok? haha

I fail at poetry, but when i'm at my worst i feel the urge to write. Then again, when i feel the exact opposite (love) i also feel the urge to write. It's about strong emotions, and it's easier to sink into depression than it is to reach love, so it's natural to associate pain and grief with creative ability.

But then again, im a writer (stories) and it's much easier to write actual stories when you're feeling neither emotion. A balance adds perspective and keeps you from straying too far into an overly dark or an overly cheerful world.

But that's about all i know. I used to be big into photography, but back then i was neither happy nor upset...
  11. voices_inmy_head

voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

Depending on my level of depression depends on my creativity.

When I'm totally happy I have creativity in drawing.

When I'm a bit depressed I can write

When I am beyond depressed I cannot lift my head so all creativity is long gone
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.