Question for everyone: Attempt/employment

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by pinkpetals33, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

A question for everyone:

If you attempted while you were employed, did you make your employer aware of your "condition" or "disability?" If so, did they accomodate you or let you go?

2. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I've never been employed, but I doubt I'd inform my employer about it.

3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I would not say anything about an attempt. Most people do not see depression as a disability much less a suicide attempt. Some employers try their best to fire depressed employees. The only time I would say anything would be if I could not perform the job. Do try to get help though outside of work.

4. jenniferelaine

jenniferelaine Well-Known Member

My current employer and some past employers have been aware that I have mental illnesses (BP and an eating disorder). This is mostly because I apparently have a sign flashing on my forehead that goes "NUTCASE!!"

My standard line is that "I have (a) chronic medical issue(s) and I am under the care of a doctor." Said medical issue(s) require that I sometimes require unpaid leave from work for medical appointments, but I usually try to schedule them so I don't have to leave work.

I have only once had an employer challenge me on this, and I pulled the ADA on their ass.

In the past year, I have needed some other accommodations, like more rigidly defined job expectations.

5. pinkpetals33

Jennifer, your situation comes closest to mine but I would welcome everyone's insight and/or experiences.

I was on FMLA for my depression. I had my attempt while I was on leave under FMLA. SO while I was hospitalized (disabled) I contacted my boss to disclose my condition and that I was applying for disability. I asked for accomodation for a return to work date that would surpass the FMLA exhaustion and ultimately they posted my position. When I tried to orgnize to come back not to far out from my FMLA exhaustion, they kept the door closed and eventually filled my position.

I was surprised as I thought that while I was employed, I was disabled obviously due to my depression/SA and they ought to provide some kind of accomodation. They would not even consider anything other than "you can apply elsewhere in the company"

I've talked to so many different lawyers that all have a different opinion.

I'm almost certain I have grounds under ADA. IF anyone has a similar experience, I would appreciate your insights.

6. jenniferelaine

Yes. You do.

At least threaten them, and see what happens.

7. pinkpetals33

That's what I feel inside although, "urgent staffing needs" seem to be classic rebuttle from employers and I read online that courts often side with employers which according to alot of attorneys, would be the burden of proof I'd have to challenge.

How did you threaten them with ADA Jennifer?

8. pinkpetals33

btw, thank you Jennifer and others for responding.

9. jenniferelaine

Brought in sternly worded letters from my drs. and told them that if they didn't let me have the time off for medical appointments, the next contact they would be having from me would be through my attorney.

You should've seen their head spin.

10. pinkpetals33

I bet they wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole!!!!!

I think the problem I 'm having is, techinally my FMLA ran out so my employer used that to be in the "right" which labors and industries specified. But so many loops with ADA that I just feel overwhelmed and even more depressed that I lost my job and they have made it so I couldn't reapply for it when I got out of inpatient.

You're so ball-sy Jenn, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I've always wondered this and deep down that was part of the reason why i was somewhat scared to get a job... Now i have a job, not anything to write home about but it 'pays the bills' and i like the majority of the people there. I just don't know what would happen if i was ever hospitalized for a mental health/psychiatric reason... I don't love my job but i don't hate it either( it's a minimum wage job what do you expect right?) If i were ever to fail an attempt again i wouldn't want them thinking i was crazy. I know if you call in sick for like more than 3 times a month i beleive continually then you get given the boot because your 'supposedly too sick to work'. I don't know what would happen if one is hospitalized and i didn't really want to ask either when they were explaining it all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.