Question for OD survivors

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Undone, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undone

Undone Active Member

I've read accounts here and other places of people who surivived an attempt to od & damaged their kidneys in the process. I'm just wondering, how bad? Do any of you have to be on dialysis, or has it not really affected your everyday life?

Just to be clear, I'm asking out of curiosity, I'm not planning anything.

Thanks guys.

2. LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler Well-Known Member

I never really told any doctor about it so that my kidney/liver could be tested, but I haven't had any problems since my OD. I took enough of what I took to put a normal person in a coma, but I'm such a fat piece of shit that it would've taken at least 3 times that much to kill me. So that probably explains my lack of lasting damage.

3. shazzer

shazzer Well-Known Member

Why would you be asking if you weren't thinking about it.

4. Undone

Undone Active Member

Like I said before, curiosity, pursuit of knowledge, however you want to put it. Taking a bunch of random pills in an attempt to od seems like the most common method people choose. I've never read the specifics of what people's lives are like after organ damage, it's always just "my liver/kidneys are screwed up." I know o.d.ing isn't the way to go, see the response I gave someone earlier advising them against it, it was actually your response afterwards that got me wondering. Thanks for your concern though.

5. shazzer

Overdosing will only cause more problems I've od'd more times than I can remember and it hasn't worked sometimes wish it had. My kidneys are damaged beyond repair and in answer to your question I'm not on dialysis yet but I will be at some point as my kidney function continues to go down and I may well need a transplant at some stage as well although I have issues against having one since someone would have to die in order to give me one as I don't have any family who would donate. At the moment I wouldn't agree to having one since its my own fault that my kidneys are damaged and I don't think I deserve to have one. But my thoughts on that may well change when I am in that position. I am constantly tired and it doesn't help my depression when I'm too tired to go out or even take the dog for a walk. My blood pressure is high because of it and I have to take blod pressure tablets to try and get it down.
    All I would say is that taking an overdose whatever it is is really not worth it you don't want to end up with more problems than when you started. I'm not gonna say I won't try again as I think about it all the time

6. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

I have tried to poison myself many times and have been in intensive care 7 times now. I always need haemodialysis and have acute renal failure for about amonth afterwards. Things go back to normal after that though.

7. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Not always. It's a dangerous game. 99% of all OD's fail, so there is a VERY high change that it would cause lasting damage. It also depends on what the substance is. Paracetamol (Tylenol or Acetaminophen in the US) is highly toxic, probably THE most toxic non prescription drug. This will damage your liver, and could well leave you needing a transplant. Ibuprofen on the other hand damages the stomach lining in OD, and can cause lasting kidney damage.

As for other less known substances, that is like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on

My advice, don't do whatever it is your thinking about.

8. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I took an overdose. For 2 weeks anything I ate came right out the other end about 10 minutes later. I was also vomiting for about 2 weeks on and off. Got really tired. Rang Poisons and Information line and they didn't think it was related. Didn't go to the doctor, so nothing was tested.

9. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

I tried to OD a year ago, and although it would have been fatal if I had not been to a hospital it has had no permanent aftereffects. It really is a terrible option to be available because it's such a passive way to do damage to yourself that you really have no way to give second thought to it. Some of the most horrible stories I've heard are people taking bottles and bottles of tylenol with alcohol, waking up the next morning hung over with a very subtle realization they want to live thinking they're ok, and then slowly the effects of the OD finishes itself out in the next day or so if the person doesn't get to a hospital, and it's extremely painful as well.

My point here I guess is that you should probably get tested. It's easy to think after an attempted OD that you didn't take enough or your immune system beat it out, but you should likely let a doctor make that decision for you. While I'm guessing most people posting here haven't done anything in the short term, it still can't hurt to check to see if there's any permanent damage.

10. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

I have been very lucky, and I am always very appreciative of that. One huge difference with me is that I don't take ODs...so what I have said isn't in relation to some kind of pill suicide attempt.

If you are playing with your life you have to be prepared to come out, if not dead, like a vegetable-we are not invincible.

11. tm2h

tm2h Member

i took a significant o/d at the end of march wont say what, but i ended up with moderate to sever poisioning and had to go on a drip.
    Unfortunatly i already had damaged kidneys from previous atempts.
    Therefore i have to see my gp on fortnightly appointments i also have to have my blood tested every month to check on how my kidneys are functioning.
    They dont really know what will happen yet but all that can be done at the moment is to continue to monerter their function.
    even a small o/d can cause a huge amount of damage so please go see your gp and ask to be checked out ...

12. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

I once swallowed a box of aspirines and a big bottle of red wine. Not that I would want to kill myself, it was just that HORRRRRRRRRRIIIIBBBBLLLEEE(!) toothache. I thought, aspirin is good against the pain, so is alcohol, so let's have some of it to endure till the morning when I go to dentist. But then drunker I got, more i took and suddenly the bottle and the box were empty. Now, the tooth was great, I felt no pain, but I felt that strange noise in my head and stange buzz in my stomach, so I decided to go to hospital emergency. They quickly pumped out my stomach and I coud see the slimy stuff coming through the tube out of my stomach. And it was BLOOD RED! :eeek:

That's when I decided to stop drinking alcohol. :angel:

13. mittens

mittens Active Member

29 advil, 12ish tylonol, 134 lbs.

may need a liver transplant in my life time.

needless to say, when o drink alchohol it fucks me the hell up.

save sopme money, heh

14. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

My livers fucked.

Had way too many OD go through it. Most of them not sudicdal, I got in to the habit of taking about 3-4 times the reccomened dose, it lasted about 2 months. Not enouth to kill me, just mess me up a little.

MY liver function test is abnormal. However there not sure if thats my OD's, or somthing called "Wilsons desease" Either way, I'll need a new liver at some stage I think

15. Bensa111

Bensa111 New Member

I OD'd last november but I was lucky enough to get to the hospital in time. I had my liver tested and my B12 levels were extremely low but I was one of the lucky ones

16. shazzer

my kidneys are knackered because of too many od's

17. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

I guess its potluck. Unless you're a pharmacologist you can't really predict what the effects an OD will have on your body if you survive. Different pills will cause very different effects.

I had one, no long term damage, but it was surprisingly violent. I woke up in hospital covered all over in dark bruises, plugged into an IV drip, with an oxygen tube down my throat. Apparently after I lost consciousness I went into violent convulsions, then my blood pressure dropped extremely low, I had a heart attack, flatlined, and one of my lungs flooded with fluids.
    The lung thing was the worst after-affect, since I had to stay on oxygen with an IV drip for 2 weeks to dry out the lung and avoid infection.

I only really failed in the attempt because I downed a bottle of wine with the pills. Fine, except when I was writing a suicide note I just couldn't keep it together and broke apart into sobs -- nothing like wine to make you really emotional. Then my mother woke up and called an ambulance.

18. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i od'd on asprin many years ago as well as alcohol, but i recall no ill effects from it all, amazingly.

19. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

You were very lucky. I've heard aspirin OD can be excrutiatingly painful.

I think OD'ing is like jumping blindly into a pit not knowing what lies at the bottom. It might be fire, a pool of acid, or a bed of spikes -- some chemicals are just as painful and gory.

"OD" makes it sound almost pleasant, perhaps "poison" is a better word.

20. Loc

Loc Active Member

I did a really small one.Not as a means of suicide,but just to make myself sick.And I felt pretty sick. I didn't want to stand in case I threw up, I was shaking, and I lost all feeling to my hands.A larger OD wouldn't have been plesant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.