Question for those who have been to psychologists/psychiatrists/etc

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by yada, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yada

yada Well-Known Member

I have been resisting professional help for some time now for many reasons ...
    - cost
    - anonymity
    - my inability to open up to strangers
    - the feeling that they would already have a predisposed answer before even hearing what I have to say, so I would not feel like they were suggesting what was best for my situation.
    - that they would want me to talk and talk over many sessions and not provide answers and or remedies in a timely manner.
    - that if I told them I was suicidal that they would have me sent off to some institute. (happened to someone I know)
    - others reasons, but I can't remember right now.

At this point though, I'm still of the opinion that I will leave and still looking for temporary help for a few months. I just need some relief from drugs or other answers that can make me feel better for a few months while I take care of certain things. For those of you who have been to a professional for help, I'd like to know if the above reasons are right, possible, wrong, etc. Also, would it be possible to see a professional anonymously? Are then any free anonymous services that can provide me some answers/drugs without having to get grilled over many sessions for many weeks first? And if I do get drugs prescribed, won't I need to provide some ID, etc?

Thanks,
    -Yada.

2. scribblez

scribblez Member

I find speaking to the people I know hard enough, I've internalised everything for years and it's starting to eat me up inside. I don't think I'd be able to open up to anyone.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have had professional help for many many yrs and I think it has made a significant difference in how I live...yes, there is a cost to the services, but I would rather strive to have a comfortable life than eat at a 5 star restaurant...all other issues are negotitated on a one to one with the person who will be rendering the care...good luck to you,and hope you do decide to find someone to assist with what you are going through...big hugs

4. sorry_mozart

sorry_mozart Well-Known Member

I find it much easier to talk to a professional than to someone I don't know. I'd recommend seeking help - you're very unlikely to be institutionalized against your will and you can always walk away if you feel like you're not getting anything out of it.

5. yada

yada Well-Known Member

For me it's much easier to open up to people I know and trust, rather than a stranger. Forums such as this are somewhat easy because of the anonymity, and because I expect I'm having discussions with people who can relate to how I feel ... not just to a person with a degree on the wall who feels they need to fill up their day with as many patients as possible so they can buy a bigger house in the hamptons.

I went to a psychologist once over a decade ago to discuss some work-related issues and got really frustrated by her asking me questions about all sorts of other issues that I could not see being related to my issue. And never got a single answer or even opinion over a handful of sessions so I stopped going. I still remember the excellent relief I felt when I decided not to go anymore.

I would spend the money if it were reasonable, as I have no health insurance. But here in the US the rates for these things are ridiculous and would suck me dry if I had to go for dozens of sessions and then still possibly get no answers. "Many many years" is not an option for me anymore. Even if I got some relief in a short time, being thousands of dollars in the hole would make my situation much worse.

Crap...looks like I may be screwed again :sad: , but I'll wait to see if anyone else has an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  6. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I have had mostly positive experiences with psychologists/psychiatrists/councellours.. with a few exceptions, I told one psych that I would break his legs if he ever tried to see me again ( I regret sayin this now).. and I am also fortunate in the area that I have never been charged for seein these professionals.. not all these people are alike, many have different styles to the way they go about there advice, etc... There has also been alot of times that I confessed I was suicidal and they did not put me in the hospital/institution, but I have had a few times that they did, it all depends on how much they perceive you to be a danger to yourself or others.. and as far as anonymity goes, I have never had any reason to believe that it was not confidential in all the years that I have been through the system, I have to give written permission for the psychologist to talk with my family doctor... If your after medication than you need to see either you family doc or a psychiatrist.. often a psychiatrist will give you a perscription after one meeting...

7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I"ve been seeing a very qualified, and very kind/compassionate Pdoc and his associate for going on two years now. I depend heavily on my sessions as I can say anything and not be judged, but helped to rise above my circumstances, by medication (which I'm taking) and adjusting my thought patterns, and by altering my behavior in certain situations. I am fortunate to be seeing such a qualified and caring professional team and I feel that it has helped me, and continues to help me in my daily life.

least

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I've found opening up to people is a bit like sex.... really difficult and embarrassing the first time, but easier the more you do it!

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

My first psychotherapist was useless, but my second one ( who I saw privately for 4 years) was the best thing to ever happen to me. Thats not to say that some sessions I loathed the floor he walked on :laugh: :laugh:

10. Dave303

Dave303 Well-Known Member

Keep the analogies clean please, this is a therapeutic forum.

Yada, it often depends on whom you go to see. I've seen 4 counselors in my life time. 2 were great, 2 weren't good at all. Perhaps you just got the wrong person the first time?

11. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Dont be scared to receive proffesional help.Good luck. :hug:

12. yada

yada Well-Known Member

Yes, I expect that, and I expect that there are good psychs out there, but I have a dim view of the medical system in this country (from experience) and pretty much know that the chances of landing a good one are slim, especially where I live now in south florida. Seems like everyone here demands a paycheck and no one wants to work for it! (But that's another rant for another day).

Beret, I am not scared to receive prof help. I am just scared to be grilled and fried by strangers as if I were a criminal, then get no resolution. And I do not have the option of time.

- Yada yada yada.

13. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

- anonymity
    - my inability to open up to strangers (see I have the same trouble, but I have noticed with myself for awhile til you get use to your therapist and get to know them, it doesn't help me, that's why you need to just touch base and get to know them first, then when you feel comfy with them you can start, what I do)- the feeling that they would already have a predisposed answer before even hearing what I have to say, so I would not feel like they were suggesting what was best for my situation. (also you have to find a good therapist, just like in any other profession there are people who are not good at their job. you have to shop around :wink: )- that they would want me to talk and talk over many sessions and not provide answers and or remedies in a timely manner. (ith this dunno what to sayt, not all are like that but with many people they have different things that help different people, but no not expereincing what you said, sorry, like I said find a good one, or one that would work better, everyones different)- that if I told them I was suicidal that they would have me sent off to some institute. (happened to someone I know) (if you just show them you are trying and looking for help and let them try to help and hold off on suicide they usaully won't do anything like that, jusr use common sense, they are just people too :) )- others reasons, but I can't remember right now

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.