Question.. for you writers

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by BrokenPieces, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokenPieces

BrokenPieces Well-Known Member

what is your style of writing...

have you ever wanted to try something new???

just wondering... its neat to know what other writer's know and if they want to try something new with their writing...

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I used to write short stories... but then I discovered I like poetry better... and apparently from what teachers tell me, my style of writing has a gazillion different meanings to it, like I'm always questioning something deeper than what I'm writing about, and my writing apparently leans towards dark.

This is a really good thread I think... I'm interested to know what everyone else says. :)

TDM

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

My favorite style of writing is in rhyme - I do best at that type, worst at free verse - but that can change. I also like my poems to read like Dr Seuss, Shel Silverstein, Ogden Nash, Emily Dickinson.... but they inevitably read like...my poetry!:wink:

I haven't the energy, desire, or ability (I think) to do short stories. Actually, my favorite kind of poem is haiku: if you can get a thought or an idea across in seventeen syllables - you've really hit it!

The human factor
    has been lost to corporate
    concerns about cost.

I like limericks too.

I know a neat person named Gene
    whose eyes are the bluest I've seen.
    He's made such an impression
    That now I'm confessin'
    My thoughts are becoming obscene.

4. I started out writing personal diary stuff in my teens along with a lot of poems about nature, or despair, or how I saw my family and life. I also used to write a mean letter - I could do pages. After I moved when I was 16, they were my lifeline. People said they liked them. I did less writing for many years except for a lot of poetry. I also wrote a piece like my own personal Desiderata about honouring the self and made posters out of it (which I sent out to all the women's shelters in my province) My latest 'gig' (which has sadly just been waylaid) was to write for a weekly internet site for 5 years. It was called "Aspects of Being" where I'd write a few paragraphs of 'prose' - thought , observations, feelings on any number of themes, values, ideals, and subjects regarding the human condition, accompanied by a poem that went along with the subject. Our readership had 280,000 hits last month - but because we're not making any money at it we had to downsize (this has been a bitter blow, and terribly ironic - as of 2 weeks ago we're "on sabbatical" till we run the new version in January).

If I could only get my sh*t together (i'm pretty buggered up right now due to severe depression and ptsd), I'd like to write a personal biography about the trials i have undergone - what I learned - what I lost. But I've got a smaller project on the go, hoping to get feedback - that's in the 'Sticky' called Dancing with Despair. Some people so far have said the writing is good - but I'm not sure there's a market for such 'depressing' stuff. Also, i have TREMENDOUS trouble "networking" and selling myself. Writers are usually somewhat isolated... I've made an art out of it because I'm so down. Still, writing is all I have and stays with me. Sure I'll be famous after I'm dead... (I used to joke about that, but Depression makes it seem all the closer an immiment reality...)

FAL1

5. altek001

altek001 Well-Known Member

my writing ends up coming out as short stories or end-rhyme/alliterative poetry.

i can do happy..when i want to or am being hypercrazywhoa. most of my stuff just describes small scenes in life..lovers' tiffs, automobile accidents and something that scares me in reality, domestic/child abuse and the like or just standing in the forever line in a school's cafetorium for the special meal you always want but the person three ahead of you always takes the last one and sticks you with the hot dog..for literally the fiftieth time in a row.

..and for some reason i end up writing from a second-person point of view, with a young woman main character more often than not. maybe it makes the story that much more catching..sad..etc.

if anything, i'd like to change/lose my bored-of-this-character ADD and write a series of novels that would make me much monies so i wouldn't have to work again.

..but that's every writer's dream, is it not? ^.^'

- Henry

6. BrokenPieces

i guess you can say, i dont have style really...

i do a free flow type of writing...

i write what ever comes to mind... and take it from there,

lately i have had a writers block...

so i am hoping this might help my writers block and open up something new...

7. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

i mostly write in couplets lol unless i am being very moody and ant to write some brooding message through a rhymeless poem :)

i was told that when i become an adult, i am going to wear all white, speak in couplets, and be melancoly lol

^^ that is to th contrary of how i act at the moment lol

8. curtius

curtius Well-Known Member

My style chose me.

It was a way of opening myself up to what I was feeling.

Sometimes I will be sitting somewhere and the lines or words will come to me and I will burst until I can get them all out.

I never chose what I am...I just am.

~C

9. BrokenPieces

i agree with you C!!!

But we all have developed some sort of way we write... and how some of us cant explain it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.