Question on Infection

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Forlornspirit, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forlornspirit

Forlornspirit Well-Known Member

(I don't know if this is the right forum spot to post this in, but have faith.)

It seems like everytime I've made a decently-sized cut, it's gotten infected. The way I've taken care of it for the past 5 years has been to cut it out, with a sharp blade. Cut out the puss that forms, and then just leave it. If it ever re-appeared I'd cut it right back out.

But, this time it's formed about 1/4-1/2 inch of puss. The wound itself isn't too deep, but it is about 2 inches in width.

I'm asking if anyone has any advice for me.

PS: Yes, I have done peroxide, but it just grew back even worse.
  2. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

The best advice that can really be given is to get some medical help from your family doctor or similar and get some antibiotics for it - it is far too easy for an infection to become septicaemia, which is very bad news. At the same time, basic measures such as keeping wounds clean and dressed, getting sutures or using steristrips if needed, as keeping wound edges together minimises infection risk. Bathing the wound in salt water can sometimes help a bit, but will not be a cure if you already have a raging infection. Please DO get some antibiotics for it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.