Question regarding how hospitals respond to suicidal people

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by catnip43, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

I wasn't sure quite how to word this....

I have severe depression, along with anxiety, and bipolar.

Things are really crappy for these days but I won't get into the details.

My question is this. During the last couple weeks my suicdal "ideation" has progressed to actually thinking of attempting suicide. In particular, last night. The reason I haven't ever called 911 is, according to my therapist, if you go down to a hospital and tell them you're suicidal, they most likely will just send you right home. Apparently there were two cases here in NM where one guy went the hospital, got sent home, and hung himself. The other is of a guy who went in with both suicidal thoughts and also thoughts of harming others. They sent him home and he apparently shot somebody.

As much as I find this hard to believe I don't think my therapist would just make this up. I did notice a thread that mentions that you should say that you are 'acutely' suicidal and they will take you seriously.

I'm okay for now but I'm just afraid if things get too bad I"m going to take some action to harm myself and it they're going to turn me away, then what's the point of calling.

Sorry to ramble but I just need some advice. Has anyone here been admitted to the hospital for feeling suicidal, or been turned away?

Just wondering, thanks for reading this long post...

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I have heard of hospitals turning people away for that. however if you get the right doctor there and make it very clear you "acutely suicidal" they may ask you what kind of help you would want. And they may also try to put you into a psych ward which in all honesty is not a bad thing at all. It would give you a chance to rest and escape life so to speak.

3. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

In my experience it very much depends on who you see. I have been sent home after taking an od as soon as my blood test results came back. On the other hand I have been admitted just for saying I feel suicidal. There are no guarantees either way.

Lea :hug:

4. L108935

L108935 Well-Known Member

I took a dozen sleeping tablets, and they questioned me like I was a 4 year old. It was easy to lie my way through it.

But, I suppose if you tell the truth and convince them that you are not faking it or something. I don't know how much it differs at different hospitals. I was in the ER, so I don't know if it's the same as the psych ward or whatever.

5. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

There have been many times that I've felt that I NEEDED to be in a psych ward so that wouldn't bother me in the least. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully if I ever get really bad I'll be able to at least get a decent doctor.

6. noPoint

noPoint Well-Known Member

I can relate.

I supposively have bipolar 2, but for reasons I'm not about to get into, I don't believe I do. I have anxiety problems, and depression.

It got really bad with me about the time that I regestered to this site. I was put on hella different medications beforehand, then I didn't want anymore. I felt very suicidle and I wanted medicine again.

I saw a doctor and he asked why I wanted medicine sense alot of others didn't work. And I told him I was feeling suicidle, that I would rather be dead. He held me in his office until my mom came and I was kindof upset. Then the rest of the day really didn't go well.

I told my mom that I think I need to go to the hospital.

We went up there and she told the receptionist that I've been depressed, dealing with bad anxiety with suicidle thoughts. And they took me in.

With me it just got really overwealming, I was crying a whole lot and everything just seemed really bad.

Some hospitals don't have a physc. ward though, so you would probably have to do a little homework to find one.

But I would say that it did help me.

7. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Usually, if you out right tell the hospital you're suicidal, they won't turn you away. If they don't have a psych ward, they would find a hospital that does and transport you there.

I did have a bad experience with a behavioral health crisis center. I went there because I knew I was on the verge of a breakdown, but they ignored me and sent me away. That is what did it. As a result, I swallowed about thirty pills right in front of the security guard and..... they still did nothing. I had to stumble to an ER myself (and I only did it two hours later, only because it was too hot to pass out and I was thinking that the pills just made me uncomfortable and wouldn't kill me).

8. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

I can relate to you situation. Along with my depression and suicidal ideation, I have severe anxiety and have been diagnosed bipoloar myself. I take Klonopin for my anxiety but had much better results on Xanax. But every time I bring that fact up, I get this lecture about the dangers of withdrawal and all. It pisses me off because I believe that I should be able to choose my medications. I'm 43 which make me twice over an "adult". I'm going to call the VA and find out if they have a psych ward so if I do get to that point I don't make a wasted trip.

I am so overwhelmed, depressed, and angry that I can hardly even cry anymore.

Anyway, for now I have no choice but hope for the best...

Thanks for you reply...

9. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

That is just WRONG. What has our society come to that medical professionals just brush off people with severe mental illnesses, especially when they are suicidal. I am so sorry you had to go through what you did.

When you went to the ER after swallowing the pills did they bother to do anything?

10. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

About what?

Yeah, they admitted me to the ER. They made me drink that nasty charcoal and gave me some other drugs via IV. They also had me hooked up to all kinds of wires and machines and I even had a catheter (those things are NO FUN AT ALL!). I had another arm set up so that they could draw blood any time they wanted. I was just, basically, a mess.

Then they wanted to admit me to the psych floor. I refused then, but the doctor gave me the option that, should I ever reach the point where I didn't think I would be able to handle things, come back and they wouldn't turn me away like the crisis center did. Less than a week later, I was at that point and, yeah, they followed through: I told them I was on the verge of a breakdown and they admitted me to the psych floor no problem.

I think what frustrated me more than anything was that just before I took all those pills, I was crying for a half hour in the lobby. I was in plain sight of the security guard and instead of trying to do something to help, he simply told me I would have to leave. That's when I took the pills.... and left, like he wanted me to. I sat, right outside where he could see me, but he still did nothing. I had a friend who suggested I sue them over that and I kinda wonder how I would do if I did.

11. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

I can relate to you situation. Along with my depression and suicidal ideation, I have severe anxiety and have been diagnosed bipoloar myself. I take Klonopin for my anxiety but had much better results on Xanax. But every time I bring that fact up, I get this lecture about the dangers of withdrawal and all. It pisses me off because I believe that I should be able to choose my medications. I'm 43 which make me twice over an "adult". I'm going to call the VA and find out if they have a psych ward so if I do get to that point I don't make a wasted trip.

I am so overwhelmed, depressed, and angry that I can hardly even cry anymore.

Anyway, for now I have no choice but hope for the best...

Thanks for you reply...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.