question(s)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by xtufpa, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtufpa

xtufpa Well-Known Member

Hello. First id like to say if this is posted in wrong section please move it to correct one.

So basically im 18 years old, almost 19, and im going to secondary (high school i belive they are also called) school. But im pretty much to fail here. So i will have to start working somehow to survive, right? So far i havent been working anything beside school's practical work (for 4 months). We had to do practical work in order to get school done, it was 4 months of work. But where i was working...they kicked me after 2 weeks. Im really scared of work in some way. Most jobs here is 8 hours a day. I really cant do mechanics, woodworkers kind of jobs, i think im more for an office or working behind computer. But you cant get that kind of job where i live. So i have been talking to my friend who live in usa, and he told me that most of jobs there are office kind of jobs. But yeh..i live in slovenia wich is central europe. Really most of jobs you can get here are those, wich i really cant do. So anyone would talk a bit?

Thanks.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just want to say hi and welcome you to SF Hope you keep posting okay so we get to know you better hugs to you

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hiya

i worked in the states and also in canada so i can answer your questions about working over here. what would you like to know?

4. xtufpa

xtufpa Well-Known Member

Hey thnaks both for the welcome :)

Beside the things i wrote in first post, is it possible to get a "office" job in usa without any special school and good degree? I dont aim on those high payed office jobs, but any office job. Beacuse where i live, there are no office jobs really :S Also im really not sure how that would be possible since i live in slovenia and i really dont know much about life in usa.

Thanks.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

the hardest part will be to get a company to sponsor you for a green card. these are harder to get because of the recession. the company has to say that there is no qualified american to do the job. because there are so many unemployed americans it will be hard for them to say that. that's why i left the states after 11 years. my company could no longer say it needed a canadian for the job.

the best thing to do would be to find a slovenian company that has an american office, or vice versa. that way you could interview locally, then transfer to the american office. look for the largest international companies in your country. like ibm, google, or microsoft for instance.

you don't need a lot of experience for an entry level job. you will need excellent written and spoken business english. and excellent interviewing skills so that you present yourself in the best possible light.

let me know if you have any other questions.

good luck!

6. xtufpa

xtufpa Well-Known Member

Hey there. I have been looking about those jobs in slovenia, and mose of them require more than high school done, and the jobs are not really "easy" kind (like programming, 3d modeling, sound managers, etc.). I heard there are many jobs in USA like data entry jobs, where you dont need many skills, and are not too complicated to do, etc.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.